It begins...

Found out via this post

Interesting side-note, reddit's anti-VPN policies and blocking some archivers like ghostarchive.

top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Agrivar@lemmy.world 16 points 17 hours ago

For what it's worth, the primary reason I joined lemmy.world, in particular, was their offering of old.lemmy.world

I'm old and stuck in my ways. I love the old-timey feel of the "old" UI in light mode with endless scrolling turned on.

[-] Corgana@startrek.website 5 points 12 hours ago

It's called "Mlmym" and a lot of instances have added it. old.startrek.website works too!

[-] Blaze@feddit.org 4 points 17 hours ago

Dbzero disabled it recently cause it was glitching and the code isn't maintained anymore, hopefully it won't happen on LW

[-] vividspecter@lemm.ee 3 points 17 hours ago

For what it’s worth, the primary reason I joined lemmy.world, in particular, was their offering of old.lemmy.world

I thought you were joking, but nope, it's real. Neat.

[-] cupcakezealot@lemmy.blahaj.zone 10 points 16 hours ago

you will use the web 2.0 bloated javascript filled internet and you will like it.

[-] hexagonwin@lemmy.sdf.org 13 points 19 hours ago

they even got rid of the login button lol. having a small userscript to insert the login button as html works tho as the method/css remains.

[-] uienia@lemmy.world 25 points 22 hours ago* (last edited 22 hours ago)

They have already been trying to bully old.reddit users for quite some time by forcing a regular cookie acceptance prompt which automatically changes the settings to new reddit.

[-] db0@lemmy.dbzer0.com 7 points 22 hours ago* (last edited 21 hours ago)

Ikr? How annoying is that?

[-] Blaze@feddit.org 4 points 20 hours ago

Reminds me every time why this platform is crap

[-] HawlSera@lemm.ee 7 points 20 hours ago

So... being able to use the site at all then?

[-] Nyx0r 2 points 17 hours ago

I saw someone call them making .old shitty a few days ago.

[-] Mwa@lemm.ee 6 points 22 hours ago

tbh if you need to see a reddit post use a frontend like redlib it doesn't have signing in with a reddit account but atleast you can browse a post without tracking

[-] x00za@lemmy.dbzer0.com 18 points 1 day ago

Hey look, another hole in their foot.

[-] 5oap10116@lemmy.world 127 points 1 day ago
[-] rustyfish@lemmy.world 204 points 1 day ago

Remember when Reddit said they wouldn’t touch old.reddit?

People understand they can just leave that site, right?

[-] danc4498@lemmy.world 99 points 1 day ago

I wish more people would leave and bring their niches over here. There’s still so many things missing on Lemmy.

[-] Snowpix@lemmy.ca 1 points 14 hours ago

I'm not sure there are enough people who would be interested in my niche hobbies (locomotives and outdoor warning sirens) to warrant communities for either lol. Trains maybe, definitely not the other.

[-] manuallybreathing@lemmy.ml 2 points 11 hours ago

If you build it, they will come

load more comments (29 replies)
load more comments (1 replies)
[-] lud@lemm.ee 17 points 1 day ago

I'm very disappointed about the removal of r/randnsfw.

[-] antonim@lemmy.dbzer0.com 15 points 1 day ago

Tbh these really are low-usage features, I didn't know about any of them, aside from the snoovatars that I've always found stupid. So I don't think anyone could be pushed away from the site because of this.

OTOH, if they're low-usage, why remove them? Do they spend too much bandwidth, CPU, whatever??

[-] Evotech@lemmy.world 2 points 17 hours ago

Old code still needs to have unit tests, maybe they use libraries you need to keep patched etc

Better to remove

[-] lud@lemm.ee 17 points 1 day ago

OTOH, if they're low-usage, why remove them? Do they spend too much bandwidth, CPU, whatever??

It's generally desirable to remove old code and features to make the code neater. It's also possible that some bug happened because of those features.

[-] Valmond@lemmy.world 24 points 1 day ago

It's usually better to not touch code that is working, it won't become "clean" just because you deactivate some stuff and if you do try to actually remove code (to "clean" things, whatever that means in a setting bigger than a small project), good luck not breaking anything.

Source: oldtimer software dev

[-] pingveno@lemmy.world 10 points 1 day ago

Code that exists still needs to be updated and maintained. It interacts with the rest of the code. Sure you can leave it lying around, but at a certain point the technical debt is going to catch up to you.

[-] AA5B@lemmy.world 2 points 17 hours ago

Maybe you can afford this in your personal projects but I have yet to work at a company willing to invest in that. Sure, a conscientious developer might clean up things they’re working on, but old code usually gets ignored until the pain of keeping it gets too great, until someone is forced to do something about it

[-] pingveno@lemmy.world 2 points 8 hours ago

Oh, sure, I've been there. Am there. And Reddit may have gotten to that point with these features where maintenance costs overtook the costs of removing them.

[-] Valmond@lemmy.world 4 points 22 hours ago* (last edited 22 hours ago)

Man do I have news for you...

I mean I don't like it, but the number of time I have seen crappy 20-30 year old code that's completely shit, ingrown into everything else...

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] db0@lemmy.dbzer0.com 41 points 1 day ago

Mark my words. This is just testing the waters

[-] Couldbealeotard@lemmy.world 43 points 1 day ago

They aren't testing anything. They are just enacting a stealth twilight of old Reddit like they've been planning ever since they thought up the new UI.

[-] peopleproblems@lemmy.world 29 points 1 day ago
load more comments (1 replies)
[-] wizardbeard@lemmy.dbzer0.com 33 points 1 day ago

I love the two comments calling out that this thread was posted to the help subreddit rather than any of the other more appropriate subs for changelogs.

Like come on, you know that wasn't an accident.

[-] Blaze@feddit.org 56 points 1 day ago

Good, this will push more people to alternatives

load more comments (7 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 03 Oct 2024
404 points (98.6% liked)

Reddit

17443 readers
663 users here now

News and Discussions about Reddit

Welcome to !reddit. This is a community for all news and discussions about Reddit.

The rules for posting and commenting, besides the rules defined here for lemmy.world, are as follows:

Rules

Rule 1- No brigading.

**You may not encourage brigading any communities or subreddits in any way. **

YSKs are about self-improvement on how to do things.

Rule 2- No illegal or NSFW or gore content.

**No illegal or NSFW or gore content. **

Rule 3- Do not seek mental, medical and professional help here.

Do not seek mental, medical and professional help here. Breaking this rule will not get you or your post removed, but it will put you at risk, and possibly in danger.

Rule 4- No self promotion or upvote-farming of any kind.

That's it.

Rule 5- No baiting or sealioning or promoting an agenda.

Posts and comments which, instead of being of an innocuous nature, are specifically intended (based on reports and in the opinion of our crack moderation team) to bait users into ideological wars on charged political topics will be removed and the authors warned - or banned - depending on severity.

Rule 6- Regarding META posts.

Provided it is about the community itself, you may post non-Reddit posts using the [META] tag on your post title.

Rule 7- You can't harass or disturb other members.

If you vocally harass or discriminate against any individual member, you will be removed.

Likewise, if you are a member, sympathiser or a resemblant of a movement that is known to largely hate, mock, discriminate against, and/or want to take lives of a group of people, and you were provably vocal about your hate, then you will be banned on sight.

Rule 8- All comments should try to stay relevant to their parent content.

Rule 9- Reposts from other platforms are not allowed.

Let everyone have their own content.

:::spoiler Rule 10- Majority of bots aren't allowed to participate here.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS