top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] titter@lemmy.world 1 points 2 hours ago

Calling twix, or xitter! You can also call it Elon's X (he has many exes, so this one fits in)

[-] Fedizen@lemmy.world 3 points 6 hours ago

I mean lets not overdo it the algorithms were becoming very trash before it was bought up but it was usable. Peak twitter was like 2017

[-] Commiunism@lemmy.wtf 13 points 9 hours ago

Hey, don't rewrite history - twitter was always notoriously bad, under Elon it surely got even worse though.

[-] Rivalarrival@lemmy.today -3 points 8 hours ago

I agree with everything except the "got even worse" part. It was always a steaming turd.

[-] Ultraviolet@lemmy.world 7 points 6 hours ago

It was, but now it's a steaming turd with Nazis and KKK apologists.

[-] Rivalarrival@lemmy.today 1 points 2 hours ago

A few Nazis and KKK apologists convinced a shit-ton of marketers, influencers, Karens, and other predatory users to leave.

On balance, Nazis and Klukkers didn't make it any worse than it was.

[-] mogranja@lemmy.world 21 points 11 hours ago

There is simple solution: just ignore it. Don't refer to it in any way.

[-] Surp@lemmy.world 23 points 13 hours ago

Sorry twitter was always trash

[-] _stranger_@lemmy.world 1 points 8 hours ago

It really is saying something that it's waaay worse now.

[-] bstix@feddit.dk 15 points 12 hours ago

They have $44 billion dollar bills to wipe away the tears.

[-] gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works 17 points 14 hours ago

For me, it’s simpler than that: I’m gonna deadname his company as long as he keeps deadnaming his daughter

[-] pumpkinseedoil@sh.itjust.works 2 points 13 hours ago

What's up with his daughter? Did she decide to switch name because he gave her a stupid one?

[-] themurphy@lemmy.ml 15 points 12 hours ago

She was a boy. Now she's a girl. Daddy didn't take it so well.

[-] dessimbelackis@lemmy.world 7 points 6 hours ago

Read to the tune of Sk8er boi by Avril Lavigne

[-] RagingSnarkasm@lemmy.world 91 points 20 hours ago

Don't call it anything. Ignore it and maybe it will go away.

[-] rayquetzalcoatl@lemmy.world 15 points 15 hours ago

I don't understand why anyone would care this much about a social media website

[-] ContrarianTrail@lemm.ee 3 points 14 hours ago

They don’t. Rather, they believe that others do, so posts like this are simply signaling alliance.

[-] Furball@sh.itjust.works 71 points 20 hours ago

I mean, it’s not like twitter was ever a beacon of glory, pre-Elon twitter was still twitter

[-] anonymouse2@sh.itjust.works 31 points 20 hours ago

Twitter was a turd. X is a turd marinaded in diarrhea sauce.

[-] abbadon420@lemm.ee 8 points 17 hours ago

Such poetry. It brings a tear to my eye

[-] cm0002@lemmy.world 15 points 20 hours ago* (last edited 20 hours ago)

Ok well maybe a beacon of glory is a bit out there for Twitter, but there was a time where it was actually cool and unique.

Like back in the day where you could interact with it over plain SMS lol

I feel old.

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] BruceTwarzen@lemm.ee 14 points 16 hours ago

People now have fond memories of twitter? Insane.

[-] ech@lemm.ee 11 points 15 hours ago

Those people sold it to musk. They were tech bros whose goal from the start was to get a massive buyout and bail. They don't deserve your respect anymore than musk does.

[-] InEnduringGrowStrong@sh.itjust.works 48 points 20 hours ago

Xitter (pronounced shitter)

[-] mp3@lemmy.ca 21 points 20 hours ago
load more comments (6 replies)
[-] Deceptichum@quokk.au 18 points 18 hours ago

But Twitter has always been shit.

[-] PunnyName@lemmy.world 8 points 17 hours ago

Not really. It was fun to talk to people that you barely knew. It was kinda like a hybrid of a chatroom and a forum.

But it grew to become shit.

[-] Rivalarrival@lemmy.today 2 points 8 hours ago

The reality is that Xitter isn't actually any shittier than Twitter was. It's not any better, of course. But it's certainly not any worse.

[-] EndOfLine@lemmy.world 24 points 20 hours ago

It's not like it was a hostile take over. They played their part when Musk talked shit and they sued him to follow through with the purchase. They could have easily kept it, but they wanted the money instead.

[-] originalfrozenbanana@lemm.ee 10 points 19 hours ago

Not that they are blameless - far from it - but they had a fiduciary responsibility to pursue the deal because it was good for their shareholders

[-] db0@lemmy.dbzer0.com 6 points 16 hours ago

"Fiduciary duty to get profit" is a libertarian myth. It has no legal basis.

[-] jaycifer@lemmy.world 3 points 12 hours ago

It’s a myth so widely pushed and accepted over the decades that just calling it a myth won’t be accepted as an argument against it at this point.

What I think is interesting is that this sense of fiduciary duty can be used by a company to do whatever they want. Mass layoffs are part of a fiduciary duty to cut costs. Mass hirings are part of a fiduciary duty to expand operations for growth. At this point it’s less a myth and more an excuse for doing whatever.

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] kevindqc@lemmy.world 6 points 19 hours ago

It was a public company, the shareholders would've sued them, no?

[-] Lost_My_Mind@lemmy.world 5 points 19 hours ago

Twitter has never, even dating back to it's inception, never ever ever turned a profit. The whole reason Elon mockingly offered to buy it was because they were looking for, and struggling to find, a buyer. They just wanted to break even and walk away.

Instead Elon was like "Hur dur I got 43 billion for ya!" And Twitter was like "SOLD! No takesies backsies!". And Elon was like "Wait, wut?"

And then Elon carried a sink through the lobby in protest.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] Rolando@lemmy.world 7 points 19 hours ago

We should call it "X, the social media site formerly known as Twitter." Every time. Yes it sounds ridiculous, because it is.

[-] calabast@lemm.ee 9 points 20 hours ago

I mean, what you personally call it isn't really going to make any difference, so if we're trying to optimize your mental health, just reframe the naritive in your head. You're still calling it Twitter to honor what it used to be, back when you respected it. You are refusing to acknowledge the nazi dumpster fire it has become, even if you still need to talk about it.

I personally basically never have a reason to mention the site when taking to another person, but if/when I do, I'll call it Twitter just because I think it would annoy Elon, if he somehow knew.

[-] als@lemmy.blahaj.zone 10 points 20 hours ago* (last edited 20 hours ago)

The way I look at it, if Elon Musk is gonna deadname his own child, I'm sure as shit gonna deadname the corporation he tanked

[-] ContrarianTrail@lemm.ee 3 points 14 hours ago

Eye for an eye makes the world blind

[-] sp3tr4l@lemmy.zip 6 points 19 hours ago* (last edited 19 hours ago)

I have despised twitter since basically its inception.

1. The character (original) character limit fundamentally means you are strongly encouraged to limit conversation to basically soundbites, slogans, and pithy comments. Even though this was changed later, it still created a culture that generally mocks anything long winded.

While its true that brevity is the soul of wit, wit is not the same thing as a detailed and nuanced discussion of a complex topic.

It thus lends itself to being an optimal tool for political slogans, celebrity gossip, and direct corporate advertisement.

1. Twitter is far, far, faaar too open ended, as in one to many kind of network connections. Its a dream come true also for narcissistic, attention seeking individuals who want to win Twitter.

2. Twitter blew up before Facebook completely shifted (enshittified?) their entire model from being focused on actually connecting friend groups, and directly pushed Facebook toward just being an unmitigated firehose of 'content' from every which way, which just became the norm for 'social media' design.

Of course X now is even fucking worse, but I am so glad its dying.

The way I see it, Twitter contributed heavily toward destroying the older, more personal formats of social media, it helped destroy the old forum culture of the net where people had communities and a measure of intellect, privacy and respect.

It took the sincerity out of online discourse, and was foundational in shifting the internet from a 'place' with lots of weird locales, into some kind of Eldritch god's sick joke of a species level omni-mirror, reducing online humanity to a popularity contest of political slogans, narcissistic clout chasers, gossip mongers, and corporate sloganeering and brand worship... and giving all of this to us in an undifferentiated constant flow.

[-] TrickDacy@lemmy.world 4 points 15 hours ago

I am with you on almost all this, but I'm not sure about this:

a culture that generally mocks anything long winded.

Don't you remember the many-part tweets? Super common and all but admitting how fucking moronic the character limit was. The character limit alone made Twitter a huge piece of shit that I always hated. And I'm with you that it never made anything better. People argued for years that Twitter was good specifically because of that limit. I never understood that argument in the least.

[-] sircac@lemmy.world 2 points 15 hours ago

Mmh... nope, don't care, my neurons has already a "twitter" thing in memory, devoting 0 additional effort in anything related to that thing

[-] pumpkinseedoil@sh.itjust.works 1 points 13 hours ago

Can we start calling it Bluesky?

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 03 Oct 2024
187 points (87.3% liked)

Showerthoughts

29333 readers
624 users here now

A "Showerthought" is a simple term used to describe the thoughts that pop into your head while you're doing everyday things like taking a shower, driving, or just daydreaming. The best ones are thoughts that many people can relate to and they find something funny or interesting in regular stuff.

Rules

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS