a few centuries (mander.xyz)
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] eleitl@lemm.ee 33 points 2 days ago

To be fair, in 1912 it was not at all obvious at which scale humanity started to burn everything after 1950.

[-] frezik@midwest.social 23 points 2 days ago

That may end up being correct. The models predicting the most catastrophic effects are often showing that for 2100, which would be nearly 200 years from the publish date.

And my friends and family wonder why I'm not having kids. I'm sure eager to bring new life in right before one of the most cataclysmic events of humanity, that's for sure.

[-] frostysauce@lemmy.world 1 points 2 days ago

It said a few centuries, not a couple.

[-] noxy@yiffit.net 2 points 1 day ago

what's the difference?

[-] Agent641@lemmy.world 47 points 2 days ago

It's a good thing someone noticed this back then, and the world dumped the coal industry. Imagine how fucked we'd be now if this was completely ignored.

[-] Cossty@lemmy.world 39 points 2 days ago

Woke. Cancel them. Get politics out of my newspapers.

[-] RQG@lemmy.world 3 points 2 days ago

They have already been canceled.

[-] MataVatnik@lemmy.world 105 points 3 days ago

Yeah but why did they need to get political about it?/s

[-] Anticorp@lemmy.world 14 points 3 days ago
[-] geissi@feddit.org 24 points 2 days ago

And this is when the topic was published by a newspaper.
If memory serves, the fist scientific publications were from the 1880s.

[-] WrenFeather@lemmy.world 33 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Aren’t there still people trying to suggest that we still don’t know if climate change is scientifically understood/proven? This is crazy that we knew about this so long ago!

[-] jaggedrobotpubes@lemmy.world 22 points 2 days ago

Not seriously, no. Are there people lying in order to betray their entire species for absolutely no benefit? Yes.

[-] coffee_whatever@lemmy.world 8 points 2 days ago

No benefit? No, of course not. But for more money to the shareholders of the oil and coal companies which some politicians either are or get payed by. OF COURSE! They will do it gladly with a smile.

Renewables aren't funded anything close to what governments of any country spend on oil and coal companies, and that's for the benefit of the very few people who own them.

Didn't we already figure out the whole climate change story way back long ago? And the only reason why we didn't do anything about it were studies funded by the oil industry so that they absolutely have to show there was "no link" between our CO2 emissions and the global temperature? Because I'm pretty sure that's the story.

[-] PrimeMinisterKeyes@lemmy.world 14 points 2 days ago

Solé's fantastic and extremely recommendable book "Phase Transitions" covers this as well. Quoting Janssen et al.: "even when the group is faced with negative results, members may not suggest abandoning an earlier course of action, since this might break the existing unanimity."
"More generally, the underlying problem here is why complex societies might fail to adapt [...]. Even if there is some social perception of risk, short-term thinking often prevails when facing long-term vulnerabilities. Such undesirable behavior is often favored by a combination of incomplete understanding of the problem, together with the misleading view that all changes are reversible."

[-] kureta@lemmy.ml 6 points 2 days ago

misleading view that all changes are reversible

That is chilling.

[-] Mammothmothman@lemmy.ca 4 points 2 days ago

Kind of the opposite in this case no?

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] OpenStars 70 points 3 days ago

Oh how right/wrong they were... 😮

[-] kryptonianCodeMonkey@lemmy.world 102 points 3 days ago* (last edited 3 days ago)

At that level of co2 production, they were probably right about the timetable. What they couldn't predict is that co2 production would rise so dramatically with automobiles and industry in the decades after that. They were at 7 billion tons a year then. We are over 36 billion tons a year now, over 5 times as much. That has clearly expedited the effects on the climate.

[-] OpenStars 29 points 3 days ago

That's so cool to know! Oh wait I mean hot, and also not, well anyway thanks for sharing:-P.

[-] EddyBot@discuss.tchncs.de 3 points 2 days ago

What they couldn't predict is that co2 production would rise so dramatically

interestingly enough in the early 1900 there were more electric cars than ICEs in north america

[-] stoy@lemmy.zip 60 points 3 days ago* (last edited 3 days ago)

That was probably fairly accurate at that time.

Look at the historical data here:

https://ourworldindata.org/co2-emissions

BTW, the large recent drop in co2 emissions, covid.

[-] xthexder@l.sw0.com 12 points 2 days ago

"large"... If only. Barely a drop in the bucket.

[-] i_am_hiding@aussie.zone 9 points 2 days ago

I never thought I'd say this, but looks like we need more pandemics!

[-] Tlaloc_Temporal@lemmy.ca 10 points 2 days ago

This is actually a thought that some climate deniers have. "Climate change is a hoax to control you, covid was the trial run".

Unsurprisingly, the people who say that publicly tend to be funded by oil.

[-] zerofk@lemm.ee 5 points 2 days ago

Why doesn’t anyone ever think COVID was sent by God to give us a reprieve and a chance to get our act together, which we’re now squandering?

[-] Trainguyrom@reddthat.com 1 points 1 day ago

Seems like legally requiring hybrid work benefits would get us significantly closer to those goals

[-] fossilesque@mander.xyz 2 points 2 days ago

Good news! We're continuing to shit on our biodiversity safety net.

[-] Dippy@beehaw.org 6 points 2 days ago

Whenever I think about this article, I think about how they could not have possibly known how emissions would grow, and they were perfectly reasonable to frame it this way. And if things stayed at that rate, we would have been able to do something about it so easily when we started getting worried

[-] DragonTypeWyvern@midwest.social 34 points 2 days ago

The thing that really gets me about these ignorant fuckers is it's not just the indisputable math, it's that we've observed the proof not just in our ecosystem, but on Venus. You can't even pretend we don't know how these systems work in at least a general sense.

[-] Etterra@lemmy.world 44 points 3 days ago

While kicking The can down the road, you come across a sign.

BRIDGE OUT AHEAD

What do you do?

1. Continue kicking the can, I'm sure it'll be fine.
  2. I don't believe in bridges.
  3. Even if God let the bridge collapse, which he wouldn't, I'll go to heaven if I fall and die, so who cares?
  4. Pick up the can and go find a dumpster.
  5. There's squirrels in my pants! Jump to safety!
[-] CoolMatt@lemmy.ca 1 points 2 days ago

Yes, all of that. In that order.

[-] someguy3@lemmy.world 34 points 2 days ago

Because they never account for exponential consumption growth. It was "a few centuries" at current consumption.

[-] EarthShipTechIntern@lemm.ee 11 points 2 days ago

1&1/10th is indeed a very few centuries.

[-] Gumus@lemmy.world 5 points 2 days ago

Technically correct is the best kind of correct.

[-] Actionschnils@feddit.org 13 points 2 days ago

The German Federal Public Radio (Deutschland Funk) has a Radio Documentary Series, about particular historical Topics called "Der Rest ist Geschichte". Mostly academic experts explain the topics from the academic view for "common" people. They made a interesting one about the History of the Knowledge about the climate crisis.

Aus der Dlf App | Der Rest ist Geschichte | Klima und Krise – Seit wann wir von der Erderwärmung wissen https://share.deutschlandradio.de/dlf-audiothek-audio-teilen.html?mdm:audio_id=dira_DLF_15dd044f

Afaik there is no English version :<

[-] AeonFelis@lemmy.world 25 points 3 days ago

Only one century has passed since then, so we're still good. It's pollutin' time!

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] micnd90@hexbear.net 19 points 3 days ago

What's funny about that newspaper excerpt is that it is word-for-word plagiarized from a picture caption in earlier article in Popular Mechanics, March 1912

The reporter for Rodnen and Otamatea Times must've been on tight deadlines!

[-] porous_grey_matter@lemmy.ml 4 points 2 days ago

It's Rodney, the district just north of Auckland in New Zealand

[-] lenuup@reddthat.com 19 points 3 days ago

just could not imagine the scale at which human civilization would escalate. Apart from that, spot on.

[-] theneverfox@pawb.social 3 points 2 days ago

That's like 30 years after the concept was first understood. Even now the concept is downplayed so people don't reject it outright

And even today, almost no one truly understands the implications of exponential growth... I'd give them full marks

[-] Armand1@lemmy.world 13 points 3 days ago
[-] Sgt_choke_n_stroke@lemmy.world 3 points 2 days ago
[-] Trollception@sh.itjust.works 1 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Many decades have past since 1912 and we are still here.

[-] thejml@lemm.ee 9 points 3 days ago

WARKWORTH was Wokewarth, am I right?

[-] werefreeatlast@lemmy.world 4 points 2 days ago

Gramma was a toddler.

[-] NigelFrobisher@aussie.zone 3 points 2 days ago

Humanity: Hold my pint.

[-] filcuk@lemmy.zip 2 points 2 days ago

Why did they not print the whole of 'Affecting' on a new line, that's bothering me

[-] gmgmgm@lemmy.world 3 points 2 days ago

Liang hadn’t made his hyphenation algorithm yet :(

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 01 Oct 2024
1192 points (99.2% liked)

Science Memes

10515 readers
2924 users here now

Welcome to c/science_memes @ Mander.xyz!

A place for majestic STEMLORD peacocking, as well as memes about the realities of working in a lab.

Rules

1. Don't throw mud. Behave like an intellectual and remember the human.
  2. Keep it rooted (on topic).
  3. No spam.
  4. Infographics welcome, get schooled.

Research Committee

Other Mander Communities

Science and Research

Biology and Life Sciences

Physical Sciences

Humanities and Social Sciences

Practical and Applied Sciences

Memes

Miscellaneous