top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old

In 150km of travel you can technically cover elevation of > 8,500 m

[-] Ajel@lemmy.world 4 points 8 hours ago

Almost as many saunas as cars. One sauna for every ~1.7 people.

[-] untorquer@lemmy.world 1 points 1 hour ago

You have the best hard seltzer full stop. Also how's USA cosplay day lately?

[-] viralJ@lemmy.world 4 points 8 hours ago

UK. Cold and hot water coming from separate taps. WTF? I was once told that it is because hot water boilers used to have their tops open to the outside, which meant the hot water could contain some debris, so it was important to use it only for washing and not let it mix with cooking water. But in bathrooms in some modern builds that definitely don't use that kind of boilers you still get separate taps. I told one of my British colleagues about how it's been bothering me since I moved here and she said "oh yeah, I never realised that I've never seen that in any other country". She also told me that kids are just taught to wash their hands quickly under the hot tap, so that they don't run the water long enough for it to turn scolding hot. WTactualF?

[-] Interstellar_1@lemmy.blahaj.zone 1 points 6 hours ago

But are showers just one head still?

[-] bamfic@lemmy.world 5 points 9 hours ago

Death from not being able to afford medical care

[-] BuboScandiacus@mander.xyz 2 points 9 hours ago* (last edited 9 hours ago)

They said "unique", not "very common"

[-] blackbirdbiryani@lemmy.world 3 points 8 hours ago

I mean it's still unique to the US. Plenty of other, poorer countries have better healthcare.

[-] marito@lemmy.world 8 points 12 hours ago

We start our spicy food tolerance early, our candy is spicy.

[-] some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org 7 points 12 hours ago

Constant mass shootings.

[-] mlg@lemmy.world 8 points 14 hours ago

Okay not my country of residence, but you can choose to burn at the 4th hottest global temp of 54C (129F) or you can also freeze at -65C (-85F).

Optionally, you can also enjoy staring directly at the sun as it rises or sets due to the air pollution.

Oh and you can also find this funni river dolphin:

[-] craigers@lemmy.world 6 points 11 hours ago

I didn't know this would be a guessing game. What is Pakistan?

[-] mlg@lemmy.world 4 points 11 hours ago
[-] Interstellar_1@lemmy.blahaj.zone 5 points 14 hours ago
[-] Rhoeri@lemmy.world 0 points 7 hours ago

School shootings.

[-] skeezix@lemmy.world 11 points 18 hours ago
  • Car insurance is optional
  • Kids get govt subsidised dental care until they’re 18
  • Most common prescriptions are $5 or free
  • We did away with pennies because they’re pointless
  • It’s common to go barefoot into shops and grocery stores
  • Most kids in elementary school go barefoot
  • Semi automatic weapons banned
  • Kids get 20 hours govt subsidised daycare per week
  • When you sell your car the license plate typically goes with it
  • Most gas stations serve hot food and it’s good (by American standards)
  • Online banking allows instant direct cross-bank money transfer, so nobody uses Paypal or Venmo
  • Nobody pays by check, nobody carries around a checkbook
  • It’s not unusual for public parks to have exercise equipment
  • For short domestic flights, time between entering the airport and boarding the plane can be as short as 60 seconds
  • The milky way is still visible in good sized towns
  • Praying mantises are still common
  • Money (bills and coins) feature women, nature, and explorers not war generals, bankers, and buildings.
[-] CetaceanNeeded@lemmy.world 2 points 8 hours ago

I was going to say Australia until children attending school barefoot. I've also never caught a domestic flight in 60 seconds.

[-] BuboScandiacus@mander.xyz 1 points 9 hours ago

Where is this ? Do you have giant insects there or deadly weather to compensate?

[-] spittingimage@lemmy.world 3 points 8 hours ago* (last edited 8 hours ago)

Since you asked...

::: :::

[-] MedicPigBabySaver@lemmy.world 4 points 16 hours ago
[-] OriginalUsername7@lemmy.world 3 points 12 hours ago

I’m guessing New Zealand.

[-] philpo@feddit.org 0 points 8 hours ago

I guess NZ. But it's just a guess.

[-] MedicPigBabySaver@lemmy.world 1 points 7 hours ago

Yeah, well, my guess is they're either a bot or full of shit about where they live.

They post a bunch about U.S. Politics.

[-] HobbitFoot@thelemmy.club 3 points 15 hours ago

Free market Jesus.

[-] Tudsamfa@lemmy.world 5 points 18 hours ago* (last edited 9 hours ago)

There are like 4 days a year everyone just puts their old sofas, broken TVs and other junk outside to be collected by a garbage truck the next day. As this furniture is mostly usable, people in white vans go around to collect the most valuable stuff, which makes up most of the traffic in villages on those days and causes old people to complain about Polish immigrants.

The village children also have a look around if the weather is nice. Village adults don't, not because they are above it, but since there is a genuine risk a neighbour you've known for decades will sue you for stealing; the garbage does belong to them still as the courts have determined.

Edit: Sorry for forgetting the most important part.

[-] BuboScandiacus@mander.xyz 1 points 9 hours ago

Sounded like hungary until the "old people to complain about Polish immigrants" part

Here they complain about gypsies

[-] villainy@lemmy.world 1 points 10 hours ago

Well that just sounds like New Jersey.

[-] Smoogs@lemmy.world 4 points 16 hours ago

I don’t think the furniture thing is that unique. I’ve been in a few countries where that’s called a council pickup and pretty common.

[-] cabillaud@lemmy.world 3 points 13 hours ago

Every third monday of the month in my town

[-] Justas@sh.itjust.works 13 points 23 hours ago

Going to the forest to pick mushrooms, nuts and berries. Going to the beach to pick up washed out amber. Having a lot of people grow their own food, even the city folk.

load more comments (7 replies)
[-] JadenSmith@sh.itjust.works 55 points 1 day ago

People in the UK drink so much tea (or coffee these days), that breaks in soap operas (such as Eastenders) cause the national grid to be on high alert, due to the incredulous surge of power from so many kettles being turned on at once.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_pickup

load more comments (1 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 30 Sep 2024
81 points (98.8% liked)

Ask Lemmy

26350 readers
981 users here now

A Fediverse community for open-ended, thought provoking questions

Rules: (interactive)

1) Be nice and; have funDoxxing, trolling, sealioning, racism, and toxicity are not welcomed in AskLemmy. Remember what your mother said: if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. In addition, the site-wide Lemmy.world terms of service also apply here. Please familiarize yourself with them

2) All posts must end with a '?'This is sort of like Jeopardy. Please phrase all post titles in the form of a proper question ending with ?

3) No spamPlease do not flood the community with nonsense. Actual suspected spammers will be banned on site. No astroturfing.

4) NSFW is okay, within reasonJust remember to tag posts with either a content warning or a [NSFW] tag. Overtly sexual posts are not allowed, please direct them to either !asklemmyafterdark@lemmy.world or !asklemmynsfw@lemmynsfw.com. NSFW comments should be restricted to posts tagged [NSFW].

5) This is not a support community.
It is not a place for 'how do I?', type questions. If you have any questions regarding the site itself or would like to report a community, please direct them to Lemmy.world Support or email info@lemmy.world. For other questions check our partnered communities list, or use the search function.

Reminder: The terms of service apply here too.

Partnered Communities:

Tech Support

No Stupid Questions

You Should Know

Reddit

Jokes

Ask Ouija

Logo design credit goes to: tubbadu

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS