top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Rapidcreek@lemmy.world 160 points 4 days ago
[-] ayyy@sh.itjust.works 41 points 4 days ago

Biden promised the same thing and then didn’t do shit. They clearly like to dangle this carrot without acting on it so they can continue to leverage it for votes.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/biden-promise-tracker/promise/1529/decriminalize-marijuana/

[-] usernamesAreTricky@lemmy.ml 31 points 4 days ago

Decriminalization is not the same as legalization. In terms of legalization, he only supported legalization for medical marijuana which is the process he started. He actually pledged to move it to schedule 2 but has started the process to move it to schedule 3. That process is getting closer for what it's worth. The DEA has really dragged it out but it's nearly at the end with the public hearing in December

From the source that politico links to

he will support the legalization of cannabis for medical purposes

[...]

reschedule cannabis as a schedule II drug so researchers can study its positive and negative impacts.

Copying my comment from elsewhere

[-] buddascrayon@lemmy.world 7 points 3 days ago

The DEA has really dragged it out

Color me surprised. It's not like they've made millions by confiscating people's possessions in the name of "the drug war". Oh wait, that's exactly what they've been doing since they were established. Seriously, fuck the DEA.

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] buddascrayon@lemmy.world 22 points 4 days ago

You should learn how the drug schedule system works. The president can't just snap his fingers and make it legal.

load more comments (6 replies)
load more comments (2 replies)
[-] givesomefucks@lemmy.world 89 points 4 days ago

The president can order agencies to reschedule it, which makes it defacto legal in a lot of states, and means federal employees in states where it's legal can use, including military.

She should do that asap, because the fight to actually legalize is a lot harder.

I don't want to see her say it needs to be legalized and then refuse to take any step thats not the hardest

[-] usernamesAreTricky@lemmy.ml 96 points 4 days ago* (last edited 4 days ago)

Biden already started that process to move it to schedule 3. It's been moving through slowly but it's got a public hearing on December 2nd

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2024/08/29/2024-19370/schedules-of-controlled-substances-rescheduling-of-marijuana

[-] ilovededyoupiggy@sh.itjust.works 49 points 4 days ago

The public comments were overwhelmingly in favor of full deschedule/legalization, but all he's pushing for is reschedule to 3, which means they'll probably go to 2 because fuck you that's why. Hopefully Harris can lean into it a little harder than Biden has.

[-] usernamesAreTricky@lemmy.ml 37 points 4 days ago

As a senator Harris introduced bills that would've fully legalized it. Meanwhile I don't think Biden ever publicly said he wanted full legalization

I think there's pretty good odds she would go further than Biden in executive action alone

[-] Bonesince1997@lemmy.world 27 points 4 days ago

Biden was calling it a gateway drug just before entering the office of president. I don't believe he's evolved personally at all. Policy, which is kind of weak, may be another thing. But I don't think the man sees any value in marijuana, for anybody.

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] Boddhisatva@lemmy.world 21 points 4 days ago

Rescheduling is a lot more complicated than that. The president can not just wave a wand and make it legal. Congress could pass a law doing so, but they are not going to do that. The other way is via the Controlled Substances Act which is, to put it mildly, is a cluster fuck.

In a nutshell, administrative rescheduling begins when an actor—the Secretary of Health and Human Services or an outside interested party—files a petition with the Attorney General or he initiates the process himself. The Attorney General forwards the request to the HHS Secretary asking for a scientific and medical evaluation and recommendation, as specified by 23 USC 811(b-c). HHS, via the Food and Drug Administration conducts an assessment and returns a recommendation to the Attorney General “in a timely manner.” The Attorney General, often through the Drug Enforcement Administration, conducts its own concurrent and independent review of the evidence in order to determine whether a drug should be scheduled, rescheduled, or removed from control entirely—depending on the initial request in the petition.

If the Attorney General finds sufficient evidence that a change in scheduling is warranted he then initiates the first stages of a standard rulemaking process, consistent with the Administrative Procedures Act. During rulemaking and consistent with Executive Order 12866, if the White House—through the Office of Management and Budget’s Office of information and Regulatory Affairs—determines the rule to be “significant,” it will conduct a regulatory review of the proposed rule—a very likely outcome given the criteria in the EO.

FYI, Biden already initiated this process to reschedule marijuana in 2022. At this point, it has been reviewed and the Attorney General has submitted a rule change to the DEA. They will have a public comment period which they will no doubt drag out as long as possible. If approved, marijuana will be reclassified at the same level as steroids (schedule III). It is disappointing that Biden only requested changing the schedule rather than descheduling it all together. Not ideal, but a hell of a lot better than now.

load more comments (25 replies)
load more comments (8 replies)
[-] Poot@discuss.tchncs.de 22 points 3 days ago

Believe it when I see it.

[-] whotookkarl@lemmy.world 57 points 4 days ago

Last year Michigan received about 290 million in weed taxes, around 90 went to municipalities and county governments, 100 million to schools, and 100 million to roads.

[-] itsprobablyfine@sh.itjust.works 22 points 4 days ago

It's crazy to me how cheap it is. Like, they could double the taxes and it would still feel incredibly affordable when compared to alcohol.

[-] celsiustimeline@lemmy.dbzer0.com 14 points 3 days ago

It's ridiculous that it's even up for debate at this point. Regulation and taxation will increase government revenue, keep potheads out of jail, and potentially calm people the fuck down. Oh no, those people over there are making themselves feel slightly light headed and good feeling! What a bunch of bastards!

[-] So_zetta_slowpoke@lemmy.world 8 points 3 days ago

But then how will we criminalize a massive swath of our population and fill up all of the for-profit prisons?

[-] Crikeste@lemm.ee 4 points 3 days ago

Yo check this out. First, we stop sending them, saving tax dollars. Then, we release the ones inside, saving tax dollars. Then, we make it recreationally legal, creating tax dollars. Then we fuckin’ ban for profit prisons lol

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org 20 points 3 days ago

Trump told the crowd, "One rough hour, and I mean real rough, the word will get out, and it will end immediately. End immediately. You know, it'll end immediately."

You see, we shoot them in the head to send a message. /s

[-] 4lan@lemmy.world 13 points 3 days ago* (last edited 3 days ago)

I think we should start adopting all of Trump's shitty day-one policies.

• We win, the purge starts on domestic terrorists for a day, terrorism will 'end immediately'
  • Kamala gets to be dictator day one only, like how trump says. She deports all republicans to the nations of their ancestors.
  • Courts packed with 29 more SCOTUS justices.
  • Build a wall between Texas and the US

If all of this is fine for Trump to do, then why not Kambala??

[-] Tilgare@lemmy.world 12 points 3 days ago

She deports all republicans to the nations of their ancestors.

Believe me, they don't want these people either. However, my understanding is Russia has open arms for disenfranchised Republicans. Please, don't let me stop you. No taksies backsies though.

[-] Mongostein@lemmy.ca 64 points 4 days ago

Canadian here.

It’s been fully legal for… 5 years? We haven’t fallen apart yet!

There’s some people working on that, but they aren’t the stoner type.

[-] AdolfSchmitler@lemmy.world 43 points 4 days ago

I'll believe it when it happens. I can only get my hopes up so many times

[-] PolydoreSmith@lemmy.world 15 points 4 days ago* (last edited 4 days ago)

Saying, “we need to” is about as noncommittal as not saying anything at all. That’s like my girlfriend pointing out that the kitchen is a mess and me saying “yeah we really need to do the dishes”.

[-] Riccosuave@lemmy.world 39 points 4 days ago* (last edited 4 days ago)

I would like to reiterate that A LOT of the entrenched Cannabis industry assholes that run the business are pro-Trump. I'm talking well over a majority of the most psychotic Trump supporters I know are directly involved in the interstate Cannabis market. They are even more prone to conspiracy brainrot than the average Yall'Qaeda folks.

I'm sounding the alarm for the millionth time that the Cannabis industry attracts some of the most degenerate, unethical, fucked up people into positions of power. I've said this like 10 times on Lemmy at least, and I always get downvoted into oblivion even though I have more direct experience with the Cannabis industry than 99.9999% of people on earth.

Trust me when I say a lot of these people are fully fucked in the head, and giving them legitimacy is a problem. While I am still 100% pro-legalization, I am also aware of the dark side of that equation as well. There is a lot of exploitation and evil in the industry. It needs to be unionized, and there needs to be common sense regulation that is not captured by the corporations within the industry itself.

Source: Worked in the black, gray, and recreational Cannabis industry for 14 years. Have directly facilitated the sale of tens of millions of dollars worth of Cannabis. Worked with thousands of different people, and hundreds of different vendors over that time.

[-] jimmy90@lemmy.world 20 points 4 days ago

god i wish we would do the same across europe

[-] aniki@discuss.tchncs.de 42 points 4 days ago* (last edited 4 days ago)

Living in a legal state is fucking AWESOME! The prices dropped to below black market before legalization and flying with a big ol bar of chocolate makes everything so much more tenable.

load more comments (21 replies)
[-] DontMakeMoreBabies@lemm.ee 9 points 3 days ago

The US policy on pot has 100% negatively impacted our ability to defend in cyberspace.

Just legalize it (and psychedelics) already.

[-] HawlSera@lemm.ee 19 points 4 days ago

If no one is being harmed and all parties have the access to information to know enough about whether or not to consent, and if all parties do consent.

Nothing wrong is being done.

[-] Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world 22 points 4 days ago
[-] Thann@lemmy.ml 23 points 4 days ago

So far all we know is she might do more than nothing

[-] setsneedtofeed@lemmy.world 15 points 4 days ago

I think to say something broadly popular with the voting base and then forget about it after the election. Decent plan TBH.

[-] usernamesAreTricky@lemmy.ml 12 points 4 days ago

There's a couple of different ways she could do it. She could start the descheduling process (doable with existing law, but DEA slow it down like they are with Biden trying to move it to schedule 3). Or if there's a democratic trifecta, she could also push for legislation to legalize it

She did push for legislation like that in 2018 when she was a senator

load more comments (10 replies)
load more comments (17 replies)
[-] Ghostalmedia@lemmy.world 24 points 4 days ago

Harris is from Oakland. She gets it. There are nice dispensaries everywhere in Oakland. Even in very family-friendly or affluent parts of town.

[-] CharlesDarwin@lemmy.world 15 points 4 days ago

I sure hope so. The notion that there still are not free states when it comes to cannabis is just beyond ridiculous.

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 30 Sep 2024
1045 points (98.8% liked)

politics

18973 readers
4297 users here now

Welcome to the discussion of US Politics!

Rules:

1. Post only links to articles, Title must fairly describe link contents. If your title differs from the site’s, it should only be to add context or be more descriptive. Do not post entire articles in the body or in the comments.
  2. Articles must be relevant to politics. Links must be to quality and original content. Articles should be worth reading. Clickbait, stub articles, and rehosted or stolen content are not allowed. Check your source for Reliability and Bias here.
  3. Be civil, No violations of TOS. It’s OK to say the subject of an article is behaving like a (pejorative, pejorative). It’s NOT OK to say another USER is (pejorative). Strong language is fine, just not directed at other members. Engage in good-faith and with respect! This includes accusing another user of being a bot or paid actor. Trolling is uncivil and is grounds for removal and/or a community ban.
  4. No memes, trolling, or low-effort comments. Reposts, misinformation, off-topic, trolling, or offensive.
  5. Vote based on comment quality, not agreement. This community aims to foster discussion; please reward people for putting effort into articulating their viewpoint, even if you disagree with it.
  6. No hate speech, slurs, celebrating death, advocating violence, or abusive language. This will result in a ban. Usernames containing racist, or inappropriate slurs will be banned without warning

We ask that the users report any comment or post that violate the rules, to use critical thinking when reading, posting or commenting. Users that post off-topic spam, advocate violence, have multiple comments or posts removed, weaponize reports or violate the code of conduct will be banned.

All posts and comments will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This means that some content that violates the rules may be allowed, while other content that does not violate the rules may be removed. The moderators retain the right to remove any content and ban users.

That's all the rules!

Civic Links

Register To Vote

Citizenship Resource Center

Congressional Awards Program

Federal Government Agencies

Library of Congress Legislative Resources

The White House

U.S. House of Representatives

U.S. Senate

Partnered Communities:

News