submitted 10 hours ago by tsugu@slrpnk.net to c/linuxmemes@lemmy.world
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Resol@lemmy.world 7 points 1 hour ago

I don't use Arch Linux, I use "Arch Linux". Completely different, btw.

[-] mister_frisbie@lemmy.world 2 points 1 hour ago

it's just how you signal you're using the correct amount of nasal upturn when mentioning "Arch Linux."

[-] captain_aggravated@sh.itjust.works 33 points 3 hours ago

One of the last conversations I had on Reddit was with a guy complaining about how crap Linux is, that he installed Ubuntu and the desktop didn't even work, it went straight to a terminal, and after some prodding he said that he couldn't even get APT to work, and it hit me: "You didn't install Ubuntu Core, their embedded OS version, did you?" No response.

[-] tsugu@slrpnk.net 15 points 3 hours ago

To be fair on the guy, Canonical's website is corporate sewage. finding the right ISO is a chore.

[-] tsugu@slrpnk.net 6 points 2 hours ago* (last edited 2 hours ago)

I politely disagree. Finding the Core ISO is harder than the Server/Desktop ones. https://ubuntu.com/download/core

There's a Build Your Core button. And that takes you to a docs page that lets you download a pre-built image. I think it's pretty obvious that this is not the Desktop Ubuntu.

[-] mrvictory1@lemmy.world 0 points 2 hours ago

Vector databases as the data foundation for generative AI applications

is what I see when I go to ubuntu.com on mobile. Seriously? Where is the ISO Canonical?! Why do I have to open the menu and choose Products -> Ubuntu OS -> Ubuntu Desktop to reach the ISO?

[-] tsugu@slrpnk.net 3 points 2 hours ago

The money comes from corporate customers, that's the sad truth. If you go to RedHat's website, there Worsktation option is hidden in menus as well. Fedora doesn't seem to be mentioned at all.

[-] blindbunny@lemmy.ml 11 points 3 hours ago

Why am I imagining an internet connected fridge that has a common exploit and people getting into them just to play doom on them or some shit?

[-] 4am@lemm.ee 27 points 4 hours ago

Minimal install for maximum frames

[-] r00ty@kbin.life 11 points 4 hours ago

Yep, less overheads! This is the way.

[-] VinesNFluff@pawb.social 7 points 3 hours ago

Sounds like something Bringus Studios would do

[-] bad_news@lemmy.billiam.net 1 points 51 minutes ago

💯😂 Sadly I imagine it's probably a sub-distro like Mint or Pop erroneously coming up as the Ubuntu it forks off, not an army of Bringi out there, but you never know...

[-] stupidcasey@lemmy.world 16 points 6 hours ago

I have fedora server edition set up headless primarily to host docker containers and have a noVNC headless steam streaming container on it, does that count?

[-] SirHery@lemmy.world 19 points 4 hours ago

Funny words magic man.

[-] lowdude@discuss.tchncs.de 3 points 5 hours ago

How well is that working for you? This setup in particular, but also streaming steam games in general?

[-] stupidcasey@lemmy.world 3 points 5 hours ago

It works but the native steam streaming is better, I would recommend a full os with steam running on it and just put the containers on that, you will save a lot of headaches the only real benefit of what I have is you don’t have to run the desktop itself unless you’re using it, since I don’t actually use it much It is fine for my very specific use case.

[-] lowdude@discuss.tchncs.de 1 points 4 hours ago

Alright, good to know. Thanks for your input!

[-] pnutzh4x0r@lemmy.ndlug.org 120 points 9 hours ago

I think the "Ubuntu Core 22" means it is the snap based version of Steam rather than the deb version.

If you look at the snapcraft.yaml for the Steam snap, it uses core22 as its base.

[-] TheGingerNut@lemmy.blahaj.zone 13 points 6 hours ago

Glad to see it's popularity is waning. Snap is the inferior universal package by many metrics and the steam snap in particular is very not ready for prime time.

[-] tsugu@slrpnk.net 31 points 9 hours ago
[-] whyNotSquirrel@sh.itjust.works 1 points 3 hours ago

using snap?

[-] gregor@gregtech.eu 120 points 10 hours ago

Nobody can stop me from gaming on my smart toilet (it's smarter than me)

[-] SturgiesYrFase@lemmy.ml 33 points 8 hours ago

Whatcha playing? Flappy Turd?

[-] legion02@lemmy.world 2 points 4 hours ago

*crappy turd

[-] homesweethomeMrL@lemmy.world 8 points 7 hours ago

Well played

[-] bruhduh@lemmy.world 3 points 7 hours ago

c/murderedbywords

[-] Diplomjodler3@lemmy.world 3 points 7 hours ago

That's not saying much, is it?

[-] savvywolf@pawb.social 28 points 10 hours ago

I mean, I can kinda see it being useful for people wanting to sell a wee box that does nothing but launch a game on steam.

[-] Donkter@lemmy.world 8 points 9 hours ago

Useful for servers

[-] 30p87@feddit.org 24 points 10 hours ago* (last edited 2 hours ago)

Why is arch at the top tho? Apparently Steam OS is its own point, are those the Steam OS clones also based on Arch? Or maybe, people just accepted the superiority of Arch (/s)

[-] LennethAegis@fedia.io 49 points 9 hours ago

The other distros are split by version, while Arch, being a rolling release is but a single entry. I bet if you add up all of the Ubuntus and Linux Mints, they'd be much higher than Arch.

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] julianh@lemm.ee 7 points 9 hours ago

I've seen arch gain a lot of popularity lately, at least in my circles.

[-] 30p87@feddit.org 10 points 9 hours ago

I changed friends to mainly the ones here on lemmy, specifically the german communities, and I was surprised that there's an actual kinda cult here, just by the germans/ich_iel'ers, with it's own community, and also a lot of members in Matrix. So I didn't really see people switch to arch, but rather I changed friends to the much more nerdy type where arch is more common.

[-] HubertManne@moist.catsweat.com 5 points 9 hours ago
[-] 30p87@feddit.org 9 points 9 hours ago

Well ... I moved away from the okay ones and was finally able to drop the right-conservative (with straight up proud nazi friends) "friends", which I basically had to have because otherwise I would have been literally alone in school. And so I searched for new friends, either online on Lemmy/Matrix or offline, in uni.

[-] HubertManne@moist.catsweat.com 3 points 6 hours ago

holy crap. I can't imagine actually knowing someone being public about nazi stuff. There were folks with like confederate flags but it was a little after the dukes of hazard and I don't think they had the meaning to it that has resurfaced in this millenium.

[-] 30p87@feddit.org 3 points 6 hours ago

I couldn't believe that either, until I met that person. I'm just glad they were in the grade below me, so no direct contact.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] JoMiran@lemmy.ml 16 points 9 hours ago
[-] ramchak@lemmy.ca 5 points 6 hours ago
[-] wingsfortheirsmiles@feddit.uk 1 points 1 hour ago

Indeed, looking forward to gaming on PopOS Cosmic beta next year

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 30 Sep 2024
288 points (98.3% liked)

linuxmemes

20839 readers
1631 users here now

I use Arch btw

Sister communities:

Community rules

1. Follow the site-wide rules and code of conduct
  2. Be civil
  3. Post Linux-related content
  4. No recent reposts

Please report posts and comments that break these rules!

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS