top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Michal@programming.dev 6 points 1 day ago

It's the iBump, it's a haptic invention gently letting you know you have passed to the other half of the screen. They also made it visible to give you a gentle cue as to where the middle is.

[-] pyre@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

put this verbatim in the ads and the fanboys will praise it as innovation™

[-] Michal@programming.dev 1 points 15 hours ago

Like that time they made a giant hole in the screen and called it 'dynamic island' 😂

[-] pyre@lemmy.world 1 points 12 hours ago

oh god that thing is so ugly

[-] Blackmist@feddit.uk 15 points 1 day ago

They're all so desperate for an excuse to increase the price further, and I don't know anybody who wants this.

We're already at over 6 inch for phones. It's plenty big enough. If I want to see something on a bigger screen, I'll use a device with a bigger screen.

[-] helenslunch@feddit.nl 12 points 1 day ago

I don't know anybody who wants this.

Just because you don't personally know them doesn't mean they don't exist. There's very obviously a large market for them or Samsung wouldn't be in the 5th generation with competition from Google, Huawei, OnePlus, etc.

[-] thedeadwalking4242@lemmy.world 17 points 1 day ago

As someone who reads a lot on the go folding phones are AMAZING My eyes never felt so good and my pockets so light. That being said it broke after three months of use when I dropped it face first while closed. If they where more durable or repairable I’d definitely go back

[-] greenskye@lemm.ee 6 points 1 day ago

The recent trifold phone prototype by some Chinese company was the only version that interested me. It actually expanded to true tablet size and the proportions and thickness while folded matched the standard phone proportions. That actually felt useful and I could get rid of my tablet, so I wouldn't mind the extra cost too much. The big issue obviously would be if it could have decent battery life, which I assume will be its critical flaw.

[-] Bob_Robertson_IX@discuss.tchncs.de 134 points 2 days ago

I'm shocked that Apple didn't just make the crease more obvious and consider it a design element and advertise it as something the consumer wants.

[-] erwan@lemmy.ml 3 points 1 day ago

Dynamic Valley

[-] NotMyOldRedditName@lemmy.world 22 points 2 days ago
[-] njordomir@lemmy.world 13 points 2 days ago

That'll come out. Good thing I bough the optional $400 i...ron.

[-] jaybone@lemmy.world 41 points 2 days ago

We invented the crease.

I mean for all the things you can meme on Apple for, releasing products for the sake of releasing something isn’t something they’re known for. See Air Power.

[-] dustyData@lemmy.world 6 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

For every AirPower there's a $999 ProStand. Apple is just a greedy company, like everyone else in tech. They are just more picky on the bullshit they sell, but they still sell bullshit.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] EvilBit@lemmy.world 24 points 2 days ago

Only Apple has the courage to give you a crease.

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] sploosh@lemmy.world 15 points 2 days ago

I want a slide out keyboard like on my G1.

[-] aeronmelon@lemmy.world 153 points 3 days ago* (last edited 3 days ago)

All ~~Of Apple’s~~ Foldable ~~i~~Phone ~~Prototypes~~ Have Visible Creases

[-] ladicius@lemmy.world 44 points 2 days ago

German renowned institute "Stiftung Warentest" just tested two foldables (both Samsung I think) and had them 50.000 times folded and unfolded (they build machines to ~~torture~~ test stuff) and reported no creases.

50.000 times is over four years for 32 uses every day (twice every wake hour). Would be more than sufficient for a normal user think.

[-] Lemming6969@lemmy.world 2 points 1 day ago

Crease distortion occurs immediately, day 1, first fold, and it's a substantial distortion.... but does not necessarily get exponentially worse like normal fatiguing plastic, but instead just gets worse slowly. Yeah it'll last 50k folds but the crease distortion is definitely there in person.

load more comments (8 replies)
[-] SuperFola@programming.dev 112 points 3 days ago

They are trying to make foldable iPhones because everyone else is making a foldable phone, but have they stopped and asked themselves if people want and need a foldable?

I have yet to see a real use case for something like a Samsung Z flip, and carrying a bulky Z fold phone in my pocket only to be able to have a tablet once in a while and watch a movie is not interesting enough.

[-] scarabic@lemmy.world 2 points 1 day ago

I could allow that some people would rather carry a thicker but shorter object in their pocket than a thinner one with larger surface area. But I can’t think of much more than that. It bugs me that all foldable now ALSO have a miniature screen on the outside. Like they immediately admit that their primary feature is a nonstarter and add bulk to the phone when bulk is a primary issue with foldables.

[-] deus@lemmy.world 60 points 3 days ago

Do I need a foldable phone? No. Do I like the idea of owning a phone that is actually small enough to be used with one hand and can fit anywhere? Yes. Besides, closing it to end a call is very cool.

load more comments (20 replies)
[-] ada@lemmy.blahaj.zone 15 points 2 days ago

carrying a bulky Z fold phone in my pocket only to be able to have a tablet once in a while and watch a movie is not interesting enough.

It suits my needs perfectly though! You can take my folding phone out of my cold dead hands

[-] Cocodapuf@lemmy.world 11 points 2 days ago

Back before smart phones I always preferred flip phones over "candy bars", the flip phone helps to protect the delicate screen and buttons while the phone is in your pocket/purse. You don't really need a case for a flip phone.

Modern smart phones tend to be more delicate than they should be across the board, but in theory, a flip phone puts the more delicate parts in a safer place.

[-] Tattorack@lemmy.world 26 points 2 days ago

I want a foldable phone.

Phones have become larger abd flatter over the years, and they're just uncomfortable to have in my pocket. A foldable phone will solve this issue.

I didn't buy one yet due to not believing the tech is there yet. Screens are very scratchable and the battery life is poor.

[-] PonyOfWar@pawb.social 35 points 3 days ago

I have a Z flip and while it's far from perfect, foldable flip phones are great and I'd choose them over a same-spec regular phone every day. Much more convenient to carry in my pocket compared to a slab and basically having an included tripod for photos is pretty nice as well.

[-] WolfLink@sh.itjust.works 18 points 2 days ago

Honestly a foldable smartphone should be 2 touchscreens with a hinge if there’s at all any risk of a bendy screen breaking more easily or otherwise being inferior to that.

load more comments (36 replies)
[-] aesthelete@lemmy.world 22 points 2 days ago

I'm pretty perfectionist about some things, but I honestly forget all of the time about this little crease in my phone. I thought I might give a shit before I bought a Motorola Razr last year, and now I often forget that it's a foldable. Imagine if you will, a phone that actually fucking fits in your jean pockets...it's worth the little (often invisible) crease.

[-] scarabic@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

I liked my jumbo iPhone for a while but it was too long to fit comfortably in my pocket. Making it foldable wouldn’t help though, because the main reason I got rid of it was I kept dropping it. Too big to use with one hand.

[-] Kolanaki@yiffit.net 17 points 2 days ago

Imagine if you will, a phone that actually fucking fits in your jean pockets

Size issue. My jean pockets can fit a whole tablet.

[-] n0clue@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

Had a manager that somewhat creepily checked for people's phones, the look on her face when I pulled an entire box of cereal from my pocket they couldn't see was pretty good.

[-] lordgoose@lemmy.dbzer0.com 4 points 1 day ago

I know you probably mean one of those serving-sized cereal boxes, but the mental image of you pulling out a family-sized box of cereal from some portal-to-Narnia pocket in your pants is fucking hilarious to me.

[-] n0clue@lemmy.world 2 points 1 day ago

I mean not the family size, but yes a full on box of cereal.

[-] aesthelete@lemmy.world 8 points 2 days ago

I am indeed a short shit.

My pockets' capacity is determined by the thickness of what I'm shoving in there, not the height. A folding phone is the worst possible thing as it doubles the thickness at the expense of height.

[-] aesthelete@lemmy.world 1 points 21 hours ago

Yeah I'm not sure for everyone but it solved my problems with the phone being too big to fit in my pockets. It even works in like pajama pants for when I'm walking the dog. Before, the phone tended to be too long and flop out.

[-] avidamoeba@lemmy.ca 56 points 3 days ago

There have been plenty of fads over the lifespan of the smartphone market. E.g. curved edge screens. I think curved screens are another and Apple is right to ignore it. There's too many compromises required for a foldable and not much benefit to be worth it.

[-] raldone01@lemmy.world 63 points 3 days ago

My personal theory for the curved edges is, that samsung just wanted to prevent cheap off brand replacement screens.

[-] T156@lemmy.world 37 points 3 days ago

Mine is that they wanted it to stand out, compared to all the other phones with flat screens at the time, especially with all the design clones.

You would look at it and go "oh that phone looks funny, must be a Samsung".

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] RisingSwell@lemmy.dbzer0.com 40 points 3 days ago

Foldable at least has theoretical benefit, curved screens on a phone are fucking terrible

load more comments (13 replies)
[-] Threeme2189@sh.itjust.works 19 points 2 days ago

Whatever they do, when they release it the have to call it the iFold!

[-] scarabic@lemmy.world 1 points 1 day ago

iMustProtest

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 30 Sep 2024
426 points (98.2% liked)

Technology

58408 readers
4490 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS