top 25 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Philosophosphorous@hexbear.net 42 points 3 days ago

am i just paranoid or will this make it harder to get evidence of abuse etc. while being presented as a wholesome anti-phone-surveillance thing?

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 23 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Fuck. There's layers to this that I, again, didn't think of before I read these comments. Yeah, forbidding any scrutiny could also be bad.

Before knee-jerk "let people enjoy things" chants, I want to stress that not all fun that partygoes seek at parties is necessarily mutually consenting, or even directed toward conscious people.

(CW: SV, emotional and mental abuse)

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/01/brotopia-silicon-valley-secretive-orgiastic-inner-sanctum

[-] MattsAlt@hexbear.net 20 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Not debate bro'ing but Brock Turner was video taped wasn't he? The rampant toxic misogynistic culture doesn't really seem to care about being filmed and law enforcement and the judicial system don't either.

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 12 points 2 days ago

I'd rather there be some way of at least presenting wrongdoing whether or not it's actually punished after it happens.

Saying "it wasn't punished therefore stop trying" is a head-first dive into the is/ought realm of bad ideas.

[-] MattsAlt@hexbear.net 5 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

I'm not saying to stop trying, moreso that the effort needs to be directed at a more productive area like security in these venues. My city scene has plenty of stories of security not caring at all when women complain about bad actors before things have escalated further

The sea of phones at concerts sucks, not to mention people filming and making fun of strangers having a good, weird time. Again, this isn't saying these issues are more important than assaults, but that phone control policies only seem to impact one end of the spectrum.

[-] comrade_pibb@hexbear.net 17 points 3 days ago

That's what I'm assuming as well

[-] anindefinitearticle@hexbear.net 8 points 2 days ago

That's why instead of stickers, we should have lens caps with an easy toggle mechanism.

[-] comrade_pibb@hexbear.net 17 points 2 days ago

There's an argument to be made about a lens that is visibly disabled. Good faith and creepers aren't known to overlap

[-] anindefinitearticle@hexbear.net 7 points 2 days ago

A lens cap visibly disables a lens, while allowing it to be taken off quickly and cleanly in an emergency (e.g. a cop enters).

[-] comrade_pibb@hexbear.net 5 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

i agree, but it's also able to be removed quickly for some creeper shit.

I'm kind of leaning towards the slightly icky position of "people in this club know that photo evidence is not likely to exist"

There are probably still security cameras. You just need to be really good about using them.

[-] SorosFootSoldier@hexbear.net 28 points 3 days ago

Germans do be some real freaks.

Why not use the locked phone bags that Jack White forces people to use?

[-] driving_crooner@lemmy.eco.br 6 points 2 days ago

I get it jn swingers clubs, but in regular clubs that just idiotic. Lost your friends? Get lost all night. Can't check uber prices or the line up time table, or the fucking clock.

[-] Wheaties@hexbear.net 6 points 2 days ago

Nobody has clocks on their walls anymore sadness

[-] critical@reddthat.com 2 points 2 days ago

Or watches ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

[-] RNAi@hexbear.net 19 points 3 days ago

But what if you peel them off?

[-] Chronicon@hexbear.net 20 points 3 days ago

I assume you get kicked out, similar to someone drinking that doesnt have the right stamp or wristband or whatever in clubs that allow 18+ who cant drink

I think they change color once peeled off and they check when you leave. I know that factories make people use these pretty frequently.

[-] ikilledtheradiostar@hexbear.net 10 points 2 days ago

check when you leave

And then what? They swipe your phone?

I'm not sure. They might ask you to go through your photos and ask to delete them, or just ban you.

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 12 points 3 days ago

Fucking clownish that the world is so dominated by creepy techbros that it's a given that anyone's camera on anyone's phone takes pictures/video without the user's permission or awareness.

In a somewhat less fucked up world that shit would be a criminal act that would shut down the manufacturers.

[-] NeelixBiederman@hexbear.net 10 points 3 days ago

Wonder if they remember to put it on front facing?

[-] driving_crooner@lemmy.eco.br 5 points 2 days ago

As someone who goes to clubs pretty regularly, I think this is pretty stupid tbh. If people want to record videos of the DJ instead of dancing, good for them.

[-] cypherpunks@lemmy.ml 3 points 3 days ago
this post was submitted on 28 Sep 2024
81 points (100.0% liked)

chapotraphouse

13462 readers
1029 users here now

Banned? DM Wmill to appeal.

No anti-nautilism posts. See: Eco-fascism Primer

Vaush posts go in the_dunk_tank

Dunk posts in general go in the_dunk_tank, not here

Don't post low-hanging fruit here after it gets removed from the_dunk_tank

founded 3 years ago