submitted 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago) by InevitableSwing@hexbear.net to c/chapotraphouse@hexbear.net

Just Stop Oil activists throw soup at Van Gogh's Sunflowers after fellow protesters jailed | UK news | The Guardian

Three individuals targeted National Gallery paintings an hour after Phoebe Plummer and Anna Holland were jailed for similar attack in 2022

top 27 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] ChicagoCommunist@hexbear.net 5 points 1 day ago

This is another example that makes me skeptical of any spectacular activism. The state is more than happy to severely punish people for the minutest of actions, all while having control over mass media, so you have to be careful that you aren't throwing your life away for zero impact. And at least in the US, it's spent the last few decades growing and perfecting the jail and prison system to the degree that it can absorb a large amount of social unrest without any trouble.

Very rarely is attention-seeking praxis capable of breaking into the spectacle a la Aaron Bushnell.

Radicalism needs to be socially reproducible to have revolutionary potential, needs to outcompete capitalism's social reproduction. We need to create revolutionaries faster than they get imprisoned, killed, burnt out, isolated.

Just like the West doesn't have real heroes, it can't have effective martyrs.

[-] Dirt_Owl@hexbear.net 41 points 2 days ago

So according to this judge Earth = not priceless

[-] tombruzzo@hexbear.net 14 points 2 days ago

The judge is probably old as fuck so global warming will just mean he can go on retirement cruises all year round

The piece of glass that they knew was there and knew would stop the soup, which it did??

[-] FloridaBoi@hexbear.net 2 points 1 day ago

But imagine if it wasn’t there. Ever think about that?

[-] anarcho_blinkenist@hexbear.net 24 points 2 days ago

You two simply had no right to do what you did to Sunflowers, and your arrogance in thinking otherwise deserves the strongest condemnation.

WHAT YOU DID TO SUNFLOWERS rage-cry for being an allegedly serious crime, they phrased their condemnation in the silliest way they could

[-] CommunistBear@hexbear.net 29 points 2 days ago

THEY DID DAMAGE TO THE FRAME frothingfash

[-] FunkyStuff@hexbear.net 28 points 2 days ago

ukkk Keep doing this to your climate activists and soon enough their sentences won't even be able to be completed because the prisons will be underwater.

[-] VILenin@hexbear.net 25 points 2 days ago

When the climate disaster has escalated to that point, they will have already switched to summary executions

[-] SkingradGuard@hexbear.net 25 points 2 days ago

These protestors aren't even doing terrorism yet and they treat them like trash

[-] umbrella@lemmy.ml 6 points 2 days ago

they are gonna make it a public calamity when they do

[-] JoeByeThen@hexbear.net 6 points 2 days ago

Let's hope Kali is pregnant.

[-] pastalicious@hexbear.net 23 points 2 days ago

I've seen the video. 10k in damage to the frame is absurd. If someone simply cleaned the soup within an hour or two of them throwing soup on it then it was as good as new. If they left it to soak in for 24 hours and damage the wood then that's negligence on the museum's part.

[-] bumpusoot@hexbear.net 18 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Protecting the artwork on the Titanic is my new metaphor for how stupid this is.

I'm a big fan of art, but uncritical support for an endless flow of soup at valuable items until rich people stop killing all of us.

[-] tombruzzo@hexbear.net 19 points 2 days ago

That plane of glass has never done more work than in this sentence. The glass did its job and the painting is fine.

By this logic if you shoot at someone and they're behind thick bullet proof glass you've legally murdered them

[-] Hydra_Fk@reddthat.com 4 points 2 days ago

Attempted Murder is a charge places.

[-] bumpusoot@hexbear.net 11 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Shooting in the direction of someone in the full knowledge that your bullet will not possibly hit them is not attempted murder. It's.. actually not any crime.

[-] Hydra_Fk@reddthat.com 1 points 2 days ago

I'd say it was property damage to the window so vandalism? What about intimidating? Or are you saying they person behind the window is in on the shooting for lulz?

[-] bumpusoot@hexbear.net 10 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

I mean, this is obviously taking the analogy too far for argument's sake. You can't intimidate a painting and soup doesn't damage glass.

[-] Hydra_Fk@reddthat.com 5 points 2 days ago

Don't be mad at me I'm very pro planet earth as well as pro soup

[-] bumpusoot@hexbear.net 4 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Not mad atcha, just disagreeing. It's all good mario-thumbs-up

[-] Hydra_Fk@reddthat.com 3 points 1 day ago

Your lucky your behind that glass and that I'm out of soup!

[-] BodyBySisyphus@hexbear.net 17 points 2 days ago

On March 30th , 1987, at Christie's London, Sunflowers by Vincent Van Gogh sold for £24.75 million

berdly-smug Not so priceless after all.

Also, if the pane of glass is so potentially vulnerable, why is no one telling the museum that it needs to beef up security?

[-] mayo_cider@hexbear.net 15 points 2 days ago

It's just impossible to clean an oil painting covered with water soluble soup

And the price of the painting went up by a few millions for the added notoriety

Who the fuck designed the glass pane so that it didn't cover the frame?

[-] ShinkanTrain@lemmy.ml 17 points 2 days ago

Why are they putting $10k frames on soup throwing range

[-] barrbaric@hexbear.net 15 points 2 days ago

Didn't the UK arrest some activists before they did anything a while back? Sink that hellhole already.

[-] Philosoraptor@hexbear.net 9 points 2 days ago

Meanwhile, an entire US state is basically floating away from record-shattering hurricane storm surge.

this post was submitted on 27 Sep 2024
123 points (99.2% liked)

chapotraphouse

13460 readers
970 users here now

Banned? DM Wmill to appeal.

No anti-nautilism posts. See: Eco-fascism Primer

Vaush posts go in the_dunk_tank

Dunk posts in general go in the_dunk_tank, not here

Don't post low-hanging fruit here after it gets removed from the_dunk_tank

founded 3 years ago
MODERATORS