submitted 3 hours ago* (last edited 3 hours ago) by MicroWave@lemmy.world to c/news@lemmy.world

Loss of state-of-the-art vessel in May or June is setback to Chinese push for naval parity with US

China’s efforts to achieve maritime military parity with the US have suffered a serious blow after its newest state-of-the-art nuclear submarine sank in a dock, American officials have confirmed.

The incident happened last May or June at the Wuchang shipyard near Wuhan – the same city where the Covid-19 pandemic is believed to have originated – and came to light, thanks to satellite imagery, despite efforts by the country’s communist authorities to stage a cover-up.

A US defence official told Reuters that the Zhou-class vessel – first of a new kind of Chinese submarines and distinctive for its X-shaped stern that aids manoeuvrability – is believed to have been next to a pier when it sank.

It is not known if there were any casualties – or if the submarine had any nuclear fuel onboard at the time, although experts have deemed that likely, according to the Wall Street Journal, which initially broke the story. The submarine was eventually salvaged but it is believed that it will take many months before it can be put to sea.

top 20 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] ohwhatfollyisman@lemmy.world 1 points 27 minutes ago

i mean, isn't it a submarine, after all?

[-] CluckN@lemmy.world 3 points 47 minutes ago

Can’t believe China managed to perfectly copy an OceanGate submarine.

[-] LordWiggle@lemmy.world 17 points 2 hours ago

I've been in the navy for over 15 years, so yeah, I know better...

But... Isn't it supposed to do that? 👀

[-] atzanteol@sh.itjust.works 10 points 1 hour ago

Sir, the submarine dived perfectly!

Excellent, how did it fare when it came back up?

Up...? Uh...

[-] AlbinoPython@lemmy.world 7 points 1 hour ago

Up? That's an option?

I only came her for this comment, thank you!

[-] sxan@midwest.social 29 points 3 hours ago

The possibility of being stationed in a submarine is one of the many reasons I did not choose to join the Navy; it's a nightmare scenario. This sort of incident makes me feel sorry for Chinese submarine crews - it's a bad situation made worse by destroying any shred of confidence in the engineers.

[-] Rooskie91 11 points 1 hour ago

Not sure about other countries, but America's submarine force is volunteer. You wouldn't be forced onto a submarine.

I was on a sub and I chose it because being instantaneously crunched sounded better than starving in a life boat.

[-] teft@lemmy.world 3 points 50 minutes ago

Read about the Kursk. Instantly crushed doesn’t always happen. Sometimes you get stuck in a compartment for six hours and slowly asphyxiate.

[-] RamblingPanda@lemmynsfw.com 20 points 3 hours ago

To be honest, if it needs to sink (uncontrolled), the dock would be my preferred location. Before I board it, best case scenario.

[-] sxan@midwest.social 4 points 2 hours ago

Absolutely. I mean, people drown in shallow water all the time; if it flooded, it wouldn't matter if it were 20m or 200m; you'd still be dead.

But it was a best case for China, since recovery was about as easy as it could possibly be.

Also, in dock, there's a better chance that it wasn't fully manned, or that it didn't flood and they could get folks out. I'm no submarineologist, but it's difficult to imagine a case where a submarine sank at dock without flooding, though, so my guess is some people died.

this post was submitted on 27 Sep 2024
112 points (97.5% liked)

News

22939 readers
5139 users here now

Welcome to the News community!

Rules:

1. Be civil

Attack the argument, not the person. No racism/sexism/bigotry. Good faith argumentation only. This includes accusing another user of being a bot or paid actor. Trolling is uncivil and is grounds for removal and/or a community ban.

2. All posts should contain a source (url) that is as reliable and unbiased as possible and must only contain one link.

Obvious right or left wing sources will be removed at the mods discretion. We have an actively updated blocklist, which you can see here: https://lemmy.world/post/2246130 if you feel like any website is missing, contact the mods. Supporting links can be added in comments or posted seperately but not to the post body.

3. No bots, spam or self-promotion.

Only approved bots, which follow the guidelines for bots set by the instance, are allowed.

4. Post titles should be the same as the article used as source.

Posts which titles don’t match the source won’t be removed, but the autoMod will notify you, and if your title misrepresents the original article, the post will be deleted. If the site changed their headline, the bot might still contact you, just ignore it, we won’t delete your post.

5. Only recent news is allowed.

Posts must be news from the most recent 30 days.

6. All posts must be news articles.

No opinion pieces, Listicles, editorials or celebrity gossip is allowed. All posts will be judged on a case-by-case basis.

7. No duplicate posts.

If a source you used was already posted by someone else, the autoMod will leave a message. Please remove your post if the autoMod is correct. If the post that matches your post is very old, we refer you to rule 5.

8. Misinformation is prohibited.

Misinformation / propaganda is strictly prohibited. Any comment or post containing or linking to misinformation will be removed. If you feel that your post has been removed in error, credible sources must be provided.

9. No link shorteners.

The auto mod will contact you if a link shortener is detected, please delete your post if they are right.

10. Don't copy entire article in your post body

For copyright reasons, you are not allowed to copy an entire article into your post body. This is an instance wide rule, that is strictly enforced in this community.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS