More specifically,

How can I discover what process had ran under a PID, if the process ran under a graphical session which restarted because of a crash, and then I killed it (the session)? It's not in the session's logs (it was COSMIC, so I ran it with RUST_BACKTRACE=1 and redirected the output to a file; nothing, other than a PID for a process that's no longer there).

The error in the COSMIC logs was "PID 22842 does not belong to any known session". I have reason to believe the process is a foot terminal launched by a systemd user service, which ran a script that launched the terminal(s). But I need to be sure, so I know what I'm dealing with, and I can approach it the right way.

Any help, info, or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

top 3 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] graycube@lemmy.world 3 points 3 hours ago

There are some monitoring tools which take a snapshot of the process table every few minutes. If you happen to run one of those, and your process happens to be running when the snapshots is taken you can catch it.

If this is a postgresql server and you have logging turned up with pids being logged, and the pin in question was a database process, you can probably find it in the database logs.

[-] Strit@lemmy.linuxuserspace.show 6 points 4 hours ago

journalctl lists PIDs, so it might have a corresponding executable name with it.

[-] theshatterstone54@feddit.uk 1 points 3 hours ago

Good idea, but I couldn't find it

this post was submitted on 27 Sep 2024
15 points (100.0% liked)

Linux

47450 readers
2130 users here now

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Linux is a family of open source Unix-like operating systems based on the Linux kernel, an operating system kernel first released on September 17, 1991 by Linus Torvalds. Linux is typically packaged in a Linux distribution (or distro for short).

Distributions include the Linux kernel and supporting system software and libraries, many of which are provided by the GNU Project. Many Linux distributions use the word "Linux" in their name, but the Free Software Foundation uses the name GNU/Linux to emphasize the importance of GNU software, causing some controversy.

Rules

Related Communities

Community icon by Alpár-Etele Méder, licensed under CC BY 3.0

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS