submitted 17 hours ago by that_leaflet@lemmy.world to c/linux@lemmy.ml
all 26 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] LiveLM@lemmy.zip 7 points 3 hours ago

Worse than the exploit, is hearing the struggles the author faced to report it

Twenty-two days of arguments, condescension, several gaslighting attempts, more or less subtle personal attacks, dozens of emails and messages, more than 100 pages of text in total. Hours and hours and hours and hours and fucking hours. Not to mention somehow being judged by a big chunk of the infosec community with a tendency of talking and judging situations they simply don’t know.

[-] dingdongitsabear@lemmy.ml 7 points 4 hours ago

I mean, OK, it's a vulnerability and there are interesting implications, but this is hardly significant in any pracitcal sense of the word.

the potential victim has to run their system without a firewall, has to print to the printer they've never interacted with before and then the attacker can run shit with whatever the printing system's user id is, which shouldn't be an issue on any reasonably modern distro.

I routinely remove cups and friends from any system I run because I have no need for printing and it bothers me to see it constantly during every system upgrade.

[-] Zier@fedia.io 1 points 7 hours ago

I had updates today that were security related about this.

[-] gramgan@lemmy.ml 6 points 11 hours ago

Wait, so how do we print now?

[-] mvirts@lemmy.world 5 points 9 hours ago

Lol what has more of an attack surface: CUPS or a reactos VM?

[-] henfredemars@infosec.pub 18 points 17 hours ago

Entirely personal recommendation, take it or leave it: I’ve seen and attacked enough of this codebase to remove any CUPS service, binary and library from any of my systems and never again use a UNIX system to print. I’m also removing every zeroconf / avahi / bonjour listener. You might consider doing the same.

Great advice. It would appear these developers don’t take security seriously.

[-] masterofn001@lemmy.ca 15 points 17 hours ago

Mdns is something most people have no idea exists.

Oh, neat, all my devices broadcast all their open ports, services, addresses, hardware and names? Cool!

No.

[-] SmoothLiquidation@lemmy.world 8 points 14 hours ago

If your router/firewall is configured to let these broadcasts through you have a problem. If it is working correctly and you have an attacker on your lan? You have already lost.

[-] Nunar@lemmy.world 2 points 7 hours ago

You've just described every enterprise who allows Linux in their environment.

[-] Majestic@lemmy.ml 6 points 10 hours ago* (last edited 10 hours ago)

It depends. If you're using a laptop and say you take it to university or work then you're not on your LAN. You're on someone else's LAN and they may have no interest in trying to stop these types of attacks via any kind of client isolation or it may be incomplete.

I can imagine it's a very normal scenario for university students to have CUPS running and available on all networks as they may need to print at their university.

[-] ryannathans@aussie.zone -1 points 15 hours ago

Going to rely on security through obscurity instead?

[-] ryannathans@aussie.zone 1 points 15 hours ago

Someone doesn't like apple

[-] Nunar@lemmy.world 3 points 7 hours ago

Nobody likes Apple. They're just afraid to say they don't.

[-] masterofn001@lemmy.ca 4 points 14 hours ago

They're standardised zeroconnf protocols. Apple was part of the early development.

Bonjour is the apple implementation for mDNS.

Avahi is the GPL compliant implementation.

mDNS, llmnr (ms developed), have been known for ages to be vulnerable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-configuration_networking#Standardization

*I don't like apple

[-] BCsven@lemmy.ca 8 points 15 hours ago

Udp sent to port 631. Isn't firewall on router going to block that anyway?

[-] ryannathans@aussie.zone 8 points 15 hours ago

Firewall on everything gonna block that lol

[-] kbal@fedia.io 4 points 17 hours ago

cups-browsed <= 2.0.1 binds on UDP INADDR_ANY:631 trusting any packet from any source

Well that would explain why I didn't have it installed (although I did have other parts of cups until jwz coincidentally reminded us two days ago that it can all be removed if you don't have a printer.) I clear out anything that opens ports I don't need to be open. A practice I would recommend to anyone.

[-] Draghetta@lemmy.world 9 points 16 hours ago

I mean I guess that’s sound advice if you don’t need to, I don’t know, print?

[-] kbal@fedia.io 4 points 16 hours ago

Indeed. But cups-browsed isn't necessary in order to be able to print things, it's for automatically discovering new printers on the network.

[-] JubilantJaguar@lemmy.world 1 points 15 hours ago

BRB.

sudo apt purge cups

Done. This should not even be part of baseline Ubuntu desktop. Speaking for myself but I have not had a printer for about 15 years. The paperless office really did become reality.

[-] dr_jekell@lemmy.world 3 points 10 hours ago

About 25 years for me.

For most people it's a better option to use a local print shop for the odd times that they need something printed.

More options for printing too.

[-] Grass@sh.itjust.works 1 points 17 hours ago

damn. that's a pretty shit one.

this post was submitted on 26 Sep 2024
103 points (99.0% liked)

Linux

47450 readers
2130 users here now

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Linux is a family of open source Unix-like operating systems based on the Linux kernel, an operating system kernel first released on September 17, 1991 by Linus Torvalds. Linux is typically packaged in a Linux distribution (or distro for short).

Distributions include the Linux kernel and supporting system software and libraries, many of which are provided by the GNU Project. Many Linux distributions use the word "Linux" in their name, but the Free Software Foundation uses the name GNU/Linux to emphasize the importance of GNU software, causing some controversy.

Rules

Related Communities

Community icon by Alpár-Etele Méder, licensed under CC BY 3.0

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS