publication croisée depuis : https://sh.itjust.works/post/25672147

Hi everyone!

For a while, I've been using the surface kernel for my Surface Go using Fedora 40. The other day I tried to clone my installation with Clonezilla to put it on another old computer I had lying around.

It didn't work and I have a suspicion that it didn't because of the surface kernel so I'm trying to use the stock kernel instead.

After a few modifications, usinge uname -a, this is the output I get: Linux surface-go-fedora-de-guillaume 6.10.10-200.fc40.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Sep 12 18:26:09 UTC 2024 x86_64 GNU/Linux

When using uname -mrs, this is the output I get: Linux 6.10.10-200.fc40.x86_64 x86_64

Can someone with more knowledge than me confirm that everything is back to stock form as I don't know if the SMP PREEMPT thing shoud be there? Doe's anyone know if the Surface Kernel is probably what prevented me from cloning my installation and putting it on another computer?

top 2 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Max_P@lemmy.max-p.me 4 points 1 day ago

That looks like a normal kernel to me. The mention of the surface is the hostname which comes from /etc/hostname.

Exactly how does it not work? Does the kernel even try to boot? Tried verbose mode?

You might need to regenerate your initramfs for the new hardware, I think on Fedora that's Dracut? That usually does include machine specific drivers that needs to be available during early boot, but just regenerating it should fix that.

Well to be honest I don’t remember exactly how it didn’t work on my other computer since it was months ago.

I just want to future proof the ability to clone my Surface Go install on any future computer just in case.

this post was submitted on 26 Sep 2024
11 points (92.3% liked)

Linux

47450 readers
2130 users here now

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Linux is a family of open source Unix-like operating systems based on the Linux kernel, an operating system kernel first released on September 17, 1991 by Linus Torvalds. Linux is typically packaged in a Linux distribution (or distro for short).

Distributions include the Linux kernel and supporting system software and libraries, many of which are provided by the GNU Project. Many Linux distributions use the word "Linux" in their name, but the Free Software Foundation uses the name GNU/Linux to emphasize the importance of GNU software, causing some controversy.

Rules

Related Communities

Community icon by Alpár-Etele Méder, licensed under CC BY 3.0

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS