submitted 3 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago) by RestrictedAccount@lemmy.world to c/nostupidquestions@lemmy.world

I have been using Logitech peripherals for years. Logitech gear always just worked.

Now they demand internet accounts to use the features of the keyboard and mouse that I purchased. WTF?

Not only that, have to use wide-open-to-snooping Chrome to adjust the settings. You cannot adjust/use your mouse and keyboard if you just use Firefox.

This only makes sense if they are planning (or are already) tracking my every move online to sell to advertisers or spooks.

What are the good options?

Also, if anybody sees how these changes could be benign, please let me know.

EDIT:

By popular demand:

The keyboard I bought that started this journey: MX Keys S

The key feature that first demanded cloud access: Swithing between computers, now it is requires it to adjust the receivers. I have both a Bolt and a Unifying receiver.

Mouse (actually a trackball) that now is requesting that I use a Chrome Browser to adjust it: M570

Software:
The Logi SetPoint Settings I open from Windows now requires you to log into your Logitech account to make changes to your Unifying or 2.4 ghz usb receiver. This link takes you to a screen that says Logi Web Connect. It does not work unless you use the latest version of Chrome, Edge, & Opera, but reccomends Chrome for the best experience.

Logitech + used to require this to enable options, but I don’t see it on my Windows computer anymore. It is still on my Mac, but upon opening it to confirm for this message, it seems to be announcing that it is now able to incorporate AI into everything I type. (ugggh)

top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] themeatbridge@lemmy.world 14 points 1 day ago

"The company to which I've always given my money because I trusted them to make good products has started taking advantage of my trust and is producing shitty products. How do I avoid this?"

Stop buying their products the moment they stop making good ones.

I feel your frustration, but I think you already knew the answer. Any workaround or jailbreak or open source firmware update would just be avoiding the problem, not fixing it. Stop buying Logitech products.

[-] linearchaos@lemmy.world 8 points 1 day ago

I procure for my company I am not touching Logitech anymore.

[-] Semi_Hemi_Demigod@lemmy.world 7 points 1 day ago

Find a mouse and keyboard you like and buy 5-10 of them. Put them in heavy duty ziploc bags with a few dessicant packets and store them in your freezer.

[-] _bcron@lemmy.world 4 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

For keyboards I'd highly recommend Filco, Daskey, and Ducky. The former 2 are more 'no frills, all business', the latter has some RGB offerings, but most of the keyboards those guys make are plate-mounted mechanical, plug and play, with really decent build quality. Also fairly common and easy to source (Microcenter usually has some of those brands in stock).

I don't know shit about trackballs but my Dad forgot his when he came up to visit (Minnesota-Arizona snowbirds) so I bought him an ELECOM DEFT PRO from Amazon and he loved it so much he started using it over the one he forgot to bring. Might be worth a look - also a plug and play type device

[-] njordomir@lemmy.world 3 points 17 hours ago* (last edited 17 hours ago)

My wife balked when I bought a Ducky keyboard to replace the solar UN-powered, Bluetooth DIS-connected, keys popping everywhere garbage I got from work. Once she typed on it, she never had another complaint.

[-] WhyJiffie@sh.itjust.works 3 points 1 day ago

I've fallen into this trap too a year ago or so. try if the Logitech Onboard Memory Manager is useful for any of your devices, it's a totally offline program. you can get it from the page below, but if it's been taken down check the archive.org, I think I have made an archive of the exe too

https://support.logi.com/hc/de/articles/6449584392215-Onboard-Memory-Manager

[-] dubyakay@lemmy.ca 14 points 1 day ago

I think the mice and keyboard requiring "Chrome" is actually due to WebHID. WebHID is only supported in Chromium browsers. Now here's the fun part, this thread has VIA mentioned a couple times and even though VIA/QMK/ZMK are FOSS, the usevia.app website requires a, you guessed it, WebHID capable browser.

That said, don't use Logitech keyboards. Sell it to a sucker on local and buy any of the above compatible keyboards instead. Drop CSTM, Luminkey, Keychron, Akko, QK NEO, CK Bakaneko, there's probably couple more that are affordable and quality. Just don't fall for GMMK, Ducky and other pseudo-gaming crap. Also visit !mechanicalkeyboards@lemmy.ml and ask questions.

Not sure about your trackball problem.

[-] tankplanker@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

If it runs QMK I would port to vial over via any day of the week, cannot stand via. Granted I need to run the app when I want to adjust the key map (and only then), but it removes the need for WebHID or any similar problems. I have been able to replace my custom mapping and macros then compiling my own custom QMK firmware and uploading it to the keyboard workflow with live editing of the map and macros.

[-] diykeyboards@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

Just here to back you up on this. All solid advice.

[-] JTskulk@lemmy.world 16 points 1 day ago

Just don't use the software lol. If it requires software to function, return it.

[-] WhyJiffie@sh.itjust.works 3 points 1 day ago

garbage advice lol

the software has useful features, like reconfiguring buttons on your mouse. however lately all of them got to be enshittified with a login requirement.

the real solution is to not buy their shit, or to keep buying used hardware for which decent software configurator is still available

[-] utopiah@lemmy.world 29 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Buy open hardware with open source firmware.

I'm typing this from a Corne-ish Zen and you can see my firmware (ZMK) with my keymap at https://github.com/Utopiah/zmk-config-zen-2/blob/main/config/corneish_zen.keymap#L27

Nobody can touch this but me. No update can break it. Yet, it's more feature rich than most keyboards.

There are equivalents for most peripherals. It's not cheap, usually even MORE expensive than already pricey ones like Logitech (I have an MX Vertical, still) but IMHO it's worth it. It's good right now, pragmatically speaking, but also morally speaking.

I advise against swimming upstream, namely NOT buying hardware that have such enshitification practices because if they don't do it today, they might tomorrow when there is more pressure from shareholders. Also by buying alternatives you are economically supporting people whom you believe are providing better solutions for yourself and others.

PS: a gateway to such projects is https://crowdsupply.com which is a kind of KickStarter. I bought a dozen things there, all delivered and working.

[-] voracread@lemmy.world 6 points 2 days ago

Can you please provide the link to your keyboard?

[-] utopiah@lemmy.world 5 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Happy to, it is a Corne-ish Zen (6 columns (3x6) / Rose Gold) that I bought as a group buy from https://splitkb.com , ordered in May 2022 and received in January 2023. I've been using it daily, at home and on the move, since.

It's not cheap but if you work hours a day on a computer, if you have pain in the hands or wrist as I did, finding the "right" keyboard for you, both ergonomically speaking and software wise, is worth every penny IMHO.

They don't have it anymore it seems but they have a lot of quality alternatives I'm sure.

It looks like https://lowprokb.ca/products/corne-ish-zen?variant=42051226796196

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] dhork@lemmy.world 153 points 2 days ago

The way forward is to stop looking at those as "features of the keyboard and mouse that I purchased" and consider them as "unlockables" where you have to pay again by handing over your personal info. Then stop buying their stuff, because it's absurd to have to pay twice.

I prefer my keyboards and mice as dumb as possible. Preferably with cables, so I never have to worry about charging them.

load more comments (12 replies)
[-] Andromxda@lemmy.dbzer0.com 66 points 2 days ago

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but switch to Linux and use Piper, a free & open source replacement for the Logitech software, that was created because they don't offer an official version for Linux

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] ngwoo@lemmy.world 6 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

I'm going to assume you need to use Chrome to set up the dongle because Firefox still doesn't support Bluetooth web APIs.

Logitech G devices with the Lightspeed dongle don't require setup (they're all uniquely paired from the factory) and will work without the G Hub software. The software itself, if you do want it, works offline without an account.

This is assuming you don't want to move away from Logitech entirely of course.

[-] Ashelyn@lemmy.blahaj.zone 5 points 1 day ago

I know this might not be the most convenient solution, but learning to resolder mouse switches means you can just replace the faulty components (and maybe the sliders too) and just keep using the hardware that works for you. As long as you don't have a mouse with that awful rubber that de-vulcanizes after about 3 years, and don't mind the visual wear from your hand on the shell over time, you'll easily 10x the life of most products manufactured with planned obsolescence. Logitech almost always cheaps out on the switches for their gaming mice, unfortunately. After replacing the switches on my g pro wireless when they started double-clicking after 2 years (almost exactly), it's been smooth sailing ever since.

ifixit almost always has comprehensive teardown and rebuild instructions for popular peripherals. Bonus points is that whenever you take apart something to do a repair, you can clean out all the hard to reach places that collect random dust and debris. Can be kind of gross but is also pretty satisfying. Additional bonus points for being more sustainable with your consumer habits and minimizing e-waste in landfills!

If you've got a mechanical keyboard, you can do the same but it's generally a lot more tedious since most have the switches soldered on, and LEDs double the amount of joints you have to deal with. I recently did just the WASD and a few other high-traffic keys on my board after one one of them failed, and it was a several hour process

[-] Mucki@feddit.org 29 points 2 days ago

What you want is to go along with the business line of logitechs products and scrap the rest. There is an offline version of Logi Options+ "for air gapped machines" available. https://prosupport.logi.com/hc/en-hk/articles/10991109278871-Logitech-Options-Offline-Installer You may use it in a virtual machine aswell.

[-] norimee@lemmy.world 70 points 2 days ago

I hate this so much.
My hp printer doesn't do shit, if I'm not online and logged in to my hp account. For what if not for collecting datathey have no business collecting.

No advice, just shared frustration.

[-] mysticpickle@lemmy.ca 48 points 2 days ago

Get a Brother printer, my brother.

load more comments (2 replies)
load more comments (1 replies)
[-] zod000@lemmy.ml 22 points 2 days ago

Disclaimer: I'm a keyboard snob. I can't think of a single good keyboard that even has software.

I actually use Logitech for all my mice and trackballs, but I also haven't installed Logitech's junky software in a long time. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

load more comments (8 replies)
[-] tyler@programming.dev 33 points 2 days ago

I use a Logitech mouse and do not have the problems you are talking about.

load more comments (14 replies)
[-] gon@lemm.ee 31 points 2 days ago

It's unfortunate, really, but there's only 1 good answer: vote with your wallet.

Research before buying and be thorough. There are companies that don't do this yet and you could build your own peripherals, there's some nice DIY kits out there.

Just don't buy this crap. IMO the only way this'll change is if it hurts them where they feel it.

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 24 Sep 2024
291 points (95.9% liked)

No Stupid Questions

35369 readers
853 users here now

No such thing. Ask away!

!nostupidquestions is a community dedicated to being helpful and answering each others' questions on various topics.

The rules for posting and commenting, besides the rules defined here for lemmy.world, are as follows:

Rules (interactive)

Rule 1- All posts must be legitimate questions. All post titles must include a question.

All posts must be legitimate questions, and all post titles must include a question. Questions that are joke or trolling questions, memes, song lyrics as title, etc. are not allowed here. See Rule 6 for all exceptions.

Rule 2- Your question subject cannot be illegal or NSFW material.

Your question subject cannot be illegal or NSFW material. You will be warned first, banned second.

Rule 3- Do not seek mental, medical and professional help here.

Do not seek mental, medical and professional help here. Breaking this rule will not get you or your post removed, but it will put you at risk, and possibly in danger.

Rule 4- No self promotion or upvote-farming of any kind.

That's it.

Rule 5- No baiting or sealioning or promoting an agenda.

Questions which, instead of being of an innocuous nature, are specifically intended (based on reports and in the opinion of our crack moderation team) to bait users into ideological wars on charged political topics will be removed and the authors warned - or banned - depending on severity.

Rule 6- Regarding META posts and joke questions.

Provided it is about the community itself, you may post non-question posts using the [META] tag on your post title.

On fridays, you are allowed to post meme and troll questions, on the condition that it's in text format only, and conforms with our other rules. These posts MUST include the [NSQ Friday] tag in their title.

If you post a serious question on friday and are looking only for legitimate answers, then please include the [Serious] tag on your post. Irrelevant replies will then be removed by moderators.

Rule 7- You can't intentionally annoy, mock, or harass other members.

If you intentionally annoy, mock, harass, or discriminate against any individual member, you will be removed.

Likewise, if you are a member, sympathiser or a resemblant of a movement that is known to largely hate, mock, discriminate against, and/or want to take lives of a group of people, and you were provably vocal about your hate, then you will be banned on sight.

Rule 8- All comments should try to stay relevant to their parent content.

Rule 9- Reposts from other platforms are not allowed.

Let everyone have their own content.

Rule 10- Majority of bots aren't allowed to participate here.

Credits

Our breathtaking icon was bestowed upon us by @Cevilia!

The greatest banner of all time: by @TheOneWithTheHair!

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS