Dead cat strategy (en.m.wikipedia.org)
submitted 2 weeks ago* (last edited 2 weeks ago) by pelespirit@sh.itjust.works to c/politics@sh.itjust.works

Thanks to a user for calling this term to attention. It's going on full force right now.

I think a way to counteract it is to call attention to the debates and/or good things from the other side.

There is one thing that is absolutely certain about throwing a dead cat on the dining room table – and I don’t mean that people will be outraged, alarmed, disgusted. That is true, but irrelevant. The key point, says my Australian friend, is that everyone will shout, “Jeez, mate, there’s a dead cat on the table!” In other words, they will be talking about the dead cat – the thing you want them to talk about – and they will not be talking about the issue that has been causing you so much grief.[1]

top 2 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] ptz@dubvee.org 5 points 2 weeks ago* (last edited 2 weeks ago)

I've always called that the "look at the distraction!" strategy, but I like the cat one better.

[-] pelespirit@sh.itjust.works 4 points 2 weeks ago

It's super appropriate for the times right now too. They're using the immigrants eating cats to do it.

this post was submitted on 18 Sep 2024
9 points (100.0% liked)

Politics

270 readers
71 users here now

For civil discussion of US politics. Be excellent to each other.

Rule 1: Posts have the following requirements:
▪️ Post articles about the US only

▪️ Title must match the article headline

▪️ Recent (Past 30 Days)

▪️ No Screenshots/links to other social media sites or link shorteners

Rule 2: Do not copy the entire article into your post. One or two small paragraphs are okay.

Rule 3: Articles based on opinion (unless clearly marked and from a serious publication), misinformation or propaganda will be removed.

Rule 4: Posts or comments that are homophobic, transphobic, racist, sexist, ableist, will be removed.

Rule 5: Keep it civil. It’s OK to say the subject of an article is behaving like a jerk. It’s not acceptable to say another user is a jerk. Cussing is fine.

Rule 6: Memes, spam, other low effort posting, reposts, advocating violence, off-topic, trolling, offensive, regarding the moderators or meta in content may be removed at any time.

USAfacts.org

The Alt-Right Playbook

Media owners, CEOs and/or board members

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS