submitted 3 weeks ago by geneva_convenience@lemmy.ml to c/usa@lemmy.ml

Green Party candidate Jill Stein is gaining ground among Muslim-American voters in three critical swing states: Michigan, Arizona, and Wisconsin, according to a recent poll by the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR).

Stein leads Vice President and Democrat candidate Kamala Harris in these states, with 40 per cent support in Michigan, 35 per cent in Arizona, and 44 per cent in Wisconsin. This surge in popularity appears tied to Stein’s vocal criticism of US support for Israel during the ongoing genocide in Gaza.

top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Cowbee@lemmy.ml 61 points 3 weeks ago

Liberals downvoting this would rather plug their ears and cover their eyes instead of confronting their issues and calling on Kamala to sanction Israel.

[-] Fidel_Cashflow@lemmy.ml 11 points 2 weeks ago

every thread from now until December

[-] UltraGiGaGigantic@lemmy.ml 5 points 2 weeks ago

Don't worry everyone, just one more damage control vote and things will all be fixed. The democrats pinky swears. /$

[-] aalvare2@lemmy.world 10 points 3 weeks ago

Kamala isn’t president yet. You can call on her to sanction Israel as president, without also pushing another candidate.

Jill Stein’s only practical role in this election is as a presidential spoiler benefitting Trump, and if Trump wins then Palestine is really truly f’d anyway.

It also doesn’t help that a vote for Jill Stein is a vote for the disbandment of NATO and the disruption of Ukraine aid. Those are extreme positions that have nothing to do with Israel-Palestine, and many of those interested in voting for her are likely not even aware of those stances.

[-] mathemachristian@lemmy.ml 21 points 3 weeks ago

She's the VICE president! We can already judge her actions and make pretty accurate judgements on how she will act as president based on what she is currently doing. Which is aiding genocide.

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] Cowbee@lemmy.ml 18 points 3 weeks ago

Kamala isn’t president yet. You can call on her to sanction Israel as president, without also pushing another candidate.

She has promised to always keep sending Israel bombs. She can promise to sanction Israel if she wants to regain votes she is shedding by promising to continue genocide.

Jill Stein’s only practical role in this election is as a presidential spoiler benefitting Trump, and if Trump wins then Palestine is really truly f’d anyway.

Jill Stein's platform is a lot better than the Democrats, votes for her pull the DNC to the left. If Trump wins, he will indeed continue the genocide started under the Democrats, but so would Kamala.

It also doesn’t help that a vote for Jill Stein is a vote for the disbandment of NATO and the disruption of Ukraine aid. Those are extreme positions that have nothing to do with Israel-Palestine, and many of those interested in voting for her are likely not even aware of those stances.

Then tell people what she stands for. For what it's worth, disbanding NATO is the single greatest thing any American President could do for the Global South, taking a firm stand against Imperialism.

load more comments (12 replies)
[-] Fidel_Cashflow@lemmy.ml 7 points 2 weeks ago

It also doesn’t help that a vote for Jill Stein is a vote for the disbandment of NATO and the disruption of Ukraine aid.

[-] queermunist@lemmy.ml 44 points 3 weeks ago

I worry that, if Harris loses because Muslim voters don't vote for her, liberals will side with Trump when he does another Muslim ban.

Or something worse this time.

[-] CommunistCuddlefish@hexbear.net 19 points 3 weeks ago

Your fear is correct, I've seen liberal Nazis salivating about it on reddit. They really hate Muslims.

Nothing to be done about that though. They were going yo turn on Muslims anyway. There can never be safety in collaborating with Nazis

load more comments (15 replies)
[-] micnd90@hexbear.net 44 points 3 weeks ago

be for genocide

why won't they vote for me

:stick-in-bike:

[-] barrbaric@hexbear.net 20 points 3 weeks ago

Those dastardly russians keep putting sticks in the spokes of my bikes. They even make it look like I'm the one doing it!

[-] aaaaaaadjsf@hexbear.net 31 points 3 weeks ago* (last edited 3 weeks ago)

I mean that's what happens when Harris is the vice president of the administration currently carrying out genocide in Gaza. Harris also repeated misinformation about Hamas members/ Palestinian men sexually assaulting Israelis during October 7 during the last presidential debate. How are Muslim voters supposed to trust someone like that? Someone that repeats racist and Islamophobic lies about them and their Muslim brothers and sisters in Gaza. Someone actively part of a genocidal administration. Of course Muslims do not want to vote for Harris, and the reasons are very obvious.

[-] Fidel_Cashflow@lemmy.ml 27 points 2 weeks ago

that's what happens when you tell voters to fuck off when they suggest ways in which you can win their vote. hope it was worth it!

[-] MF_COOM@hexbear.net 23 points 3 weeks ago

Is Jill Stein cool? I don't know much about her

[-] Nakoichi@hexbear.net 26 points 3 weeks ago

Green party platform is quite good this year yes. She's been kindof a crank in the past going along with some anti-vaxxers on some shit but I have been informed she changed on that recently.

[-] geneva_convenience@lemmy.ml 20 points 3 weeks ago

Jill Stein is cool. A lot of liberals are mad at her because she is snooping votes from the Democratic party by offering people things they actually want to vote for. Especially a weapons ban on Israel.

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] DBVegas@hexbear.net 14 points 3 weeks ago

She's alright but ultimately is a bit watered down compared to Claudia De La Cruz

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] geneva_convenience@lemmy.ml 19 points 3 weeks ago* (last edited 3 weeks ago)

Perfectly balanced

[-] Asafum@feddit.nl 15 points 3 weeks ago* (last edited 3 weeks ago)

We're in such a wonderful position: Kamala does nothing about Israel like she's paid to do and Palestinians die.

Trump wins and not only does nothing about Palestine, but encourages Bibi to go harder, more Palestinians die annnnd we get to enjoy the beginning of a fascist dictatorship!

Notice how Stein isn't even mentioned in the above? You can claim it's about putting pressure on Kamala all you like, but this is the literal election. When she loses because of this "pressure" (that isn't pressure, it's literally not voting for her at all) what's the outcome? It sure as hell has nothing to do with Stein being anywhere.

We've been having this argument about the green party for fucking decades and what progress/policies have they "forced" the Democrats to adopt?

I think aside from the obvious genocide, what really fucking pisses me off about Democrats and this topic is that "we" can sooooo easily say "handguns for self defense ok! Shotguns for self defense ok! Rifles for self defense ok (depends on magazine size and rate of fire) bombs? No! Tanks? God no!" But when it comes to Isreal they suddenly completely lose the capacity for nuance... Bombs = self defense? Are you fucking joking?

[-] BlucifersVeinyAnus@sh.itjust.works 14 points 3 weeks ago

Awesome.

Let’s give fascism a chance.

Yay

[-] Cowbee@lemmy.ml 26 points 3 weeks ago

Are you vote-shaming Muslim-Americans refusing to vote for someone committing genocide on Palestinians?

load more comments (24 replies)
[-] orcrist@lemm.ee 10 points 3 weeks ago

You're blaming people for being strongly anti-genocide. That's basically absurd at face value. If you wanna argue against being a single issue voter, that's a conversation to have. However, "I oppose genocide." is kinda the single best single issue to rely on, if someone is inclined to be one.

All the while, Harris knows the risks. Don't blame voters for Harris's conscious choice. If you alienate your base, you deserve to lose your base. Deal with it... I think she still has the votes, but that is the risk for every candidate, and it always will be.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] philo@lemmy.ca 14 points 3 weeks ago

2016 again. Idiots never learn.

[-] delirious_owl 10 points 3 weeks ago

She isn't the only anti-zionist candidate, but she is a good option

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 15 Sep 2024
69 points (66.5% liked)

United States | News & Politics

7155 readers
321 users here now