top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Bougie_Birdie@lemmy.blahaj.zone 108 points 1 month ago
[-] wurstgulasch3000@lemmy.world 63 points 1 month ago* (last edited 1 month ago)

I was gonna say they look like gowron but yours is even more accurate

[-] Bougie_Birdie@lemmy.blahaj.zone 21 points 1 month ago

I keep seeing this guy pop up in memes.

I've never seen Star Trek, but like... he makes me want to give it a go

[-] wurstgulasch3000@lemmy.world 16 points 1 month ago* (last edited 1 month ago)

If you do, start with TNG. And maybe even skip the first 3-4 episodes of that and watch them later

[-] frezik@midwest.social 2 points 1 month ago

Hell, skip the first two seasons. If someone offered me $1M and I could never watch the first two seasons of TNG ever again, I'd take it without hesitation.

No, not even Measure of a Man. It's legally and philosophically nonsense.

[-] zaphodb2002@sh.itjust.works 6 points 1 month ago

Really? You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but imo Measure of a Man is an incredible acting showcase and a strong premise to display Federation values. Every time I've wanted to get someone into TNG, it's one of my first recommendations and it usually works. What are your complaints about it?

[-] frezik@midwest.social 7 points 1 month ago

Legal Eagle covers the legal issues with it:

https://youtu.be/XVjeYW6S8Mo?si=qdE-MT3S3LSbEfxw

The whole trial probably should never have happened. Star Fleet implicitly accepted Data's self determination by accepting his application to the Academy. Plus, if Maddox thought positronic nets weren't a giant leap in artificial consciousness, why would he be so interested in Data at all?

The legal issues overlap with some of the philosophical issues. There's a long history of investigation into intelligence and consciousness, and none of it is on display in the episode. It's not even a very good introduction to the topic.

This is rather important to today's issues with AI. While I think current AI tech is vastly overhyped, some of the popular arguments against it are just bad.

[-] MindTraveller@lemmy.ca 4 points 1 month ago

Okay but have you considered that watching Picard argue that slavery bad is fun as hell?

load more comments (1 replies)
load more comments (5 replies)
[-] Infynis@midwest.social 9 points 1 month ago

Glory to you...and your houssssse

[-] frezik@midwest.social 8 points 1 month ago

FWIW, I think the memes do the character too much credit. Not that he's badly written; far from it. Rather, he's a shit warrior who pretends his political ambitions are honorable. Without going into spoilers, there's a little dialog scene late in DS9 that lays out how the Klingon Empire is not living up to its own values, people like Gowron are the reason, and Gowron himself needs to be gutted yesterday.

Glory to you… AND YOUR UTERUS

[-] yogurtwrong@lemmy.world 12 points 1 month ago

Aliens talk in TCP

[-] RamblingPanda@lemmynsfw.com 6 points 1 month ago

Exactly what I've seen.

"I've come in peace"

shits its diaper

[-] databender@lemmy.world 51 points 1 month ago

HOW IS THIS NOT COMMON KNOWLEDGE???? I've already had my kids and got a vasectomy. It would be so good to have photos like these hanging on the walls for when my boys bring home partners.

[-] Valmond@lemmy.world 32 points 1 month ago* (last edited 1 month ago)

Yeah you don't do an MRI without reasons, thats probably why (very safe but less so compared to ultrasound). Also you get the live images with ultrasound I don't think that's standard with those big MRI systems.

[-] Fermion@feddit.nl 37 points 1 month ago* (last edited 1 month ago)

There's no danger for an mri unless you've had major surgery involving metal inplants. There's no ionizing radiation so there should be no risks for the fetus.

Cost and scarcity are big limiting factors for mri though. Mri machines are massive permanent installations that cost in the millions. They are already busy with people who need diagnostics of specific conditions. Putting every expectant mother in one would lead to absurd wait times. Whereas doctors offices can have multiple little ultrasound machines on carts that are easy to quickly acquire imagining as part of routine visits.

[-] Carrolade@lemmy.world 19 points 1 month ago

Exactly. MRI machine is a big, expensive, in-demand thing. Ultrasound is cheap, quick and easy.

Though tbf I think this meme demonstrates that we need to lower the cost of MRIs.

[-] Gradually_Adjusting@lemmy.world 49 points 1 month ago

My wife got a prenatal MRI as part of a scientific study, so I got to see my kid's MRI face. It's truly one of the ugliest pictures of him in existence

[-] frezik@midwest.social 34 points 1 month ago* (last edited 1 month ago)

So you know those laws in some states where women need to be shown an ultrasound of the fetus before getting an abortion? Let's switch those to an MRI.

Ok, ok, MRI machines are expensive, there would be a long waiting list, and it's still unnecessary. But I'd laugh my ass off.

[-] match@pawb.social 19 points 1 month ago

god, don't give them ideas, they'll be waiting 10 months before they're allowed to begin

[-] maegul@lemmy.ml 34 points 1 month ago

That is beautiful! Thank you, made my day.

[-] fossilesque@mander.xyz 56 points 1 month ago
[-] maegul@lemmy.ml 11 points 1 month ago

So … you seen Romulus?

[-] SkybreakerEngineer@lemmy.world 8 points 1 month ago

Not since JJ Abrams blew it up

[-] 7bicycles@hexbear.net 3 points 1 month ago

If this connection intrigues you I

a) implore you to read SCP-6959

b) join my new religion based on the idea that we are formed as crylaugh-emoji and we shall become crylaugh-emoji

[-] chillbo_baggins@hexbear.net 32 points 1 month ago
[-] Raverbunny@aussie.zone 2 points 1 month ago

Kinda reminds me of this martian had a lovechild with a Chucky doll

[-] Kolanaki@yiffit.net 17 points 1 month ago
[-] k_rol@lemmy.ca 16 points 1 month ago* (last edited 1 month ago)

Maybe that's a good tactic against the pro-life

[-] Infynis@midwest.social 15 points 1 month ago

I usually can't tell what's going on in ultrasound photos. This seems much more effective at proving there's a baby in there

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 11 points 1 month ago
[-] ValorieAF@lemmy.world 9 points 1 month ago

Cast it into the fire!

[-] yamanii@lemmy.world 7 points 1 month ago

NSFW? This is hilarious!

[-] Phenomephrene@thebrainbin.org 7 points 1 month ago

This is better. I'm never having kids, but if I did now I'd really want an MRI scan of the little darling.

[-] Etterra@lemmy.world 6 points 1 month ago

Everything is funnier with googly eyes.

[-] cybervseas@lemmy.world 6 points 1 month ago

Aww what a cutie.

[-] keepcarrot@hexbear.net 6 points 1 month ago

My first thought was the They Live aliens

[-] Phoenix3875@lemmy.world 3 points 1 month ago

You think adults are prettier?

[-] mindbleach@sh.itjust.works 3 points 1 month ago

Do you want a banana? Peel it down and go mmm-mm-mmm-mmm.

[-] Aatube@kbin.melroy.org 2 points 1 month ago

but avocado

[-] HawlSera@lemm.ee 2 points 1 month ago

This is really making me rethink my stance on Abortion tbh.

[-] FarFarAway@lemmy.world 3 points 1 month ago* (last edited 1 month ago)

There doesn't seem to be an indication of how far along this is. An embryo turns into a fetus at 10 weeks. Stupid healthline says the brain left and right halves of the brain don't develop until the third trimester. At that point abortion is reserved for severe birth defects and such.

[-] Mango@lemmy.world 2 points 1 month ago

That's a bad reason. This is WAY better!

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 28 Aug 2024
552 points (97.6% liked)

Science Memes

10493 readers
2351 users here now

Welcome to c/science_memes @ Mander.xyz!

A place for majestic STEMLORD peacocking, as well as memes about the realities of working in a lab.

Rules

1. Don't throw mud. Behave like an intellectual and remember the human.
  2. Keep it rooted (on topic).
  3. No spam.
  4. Infographics welcome, get schooled.

Research Committee

Other Mander Communities

Science and Research

Biology and Life Sciences

Physical Sciences

Humanities and Social Sciences

Practical and Applied Sciences

Memes

Miscellaneous