Hey there, new to lemmy. Is there a way to stop lemmy from live-updating the feed? It makes it impossible to click on images or read posts since it constantly gets pushed down. Its really bad when i want to scroll local to find communities. Any help appreciated!

top 12 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] ubergeek77@lemmy.ubergeek77.chat 30 points 1 year ago

This is because Lemmy uses websockets to retrieve live data from the server. I imagine this was a good thing when Lemmy was unpopulated, but now it's just in the way. It's also causing strange bugs, like the vote count rapidly changing to wrong values, or a post just completely changing into a different one while you are reading it.

Websockets will be removed from Lemmy in 0.18, which should fix all of this.

[-] JewleZ@lemmy.world 4 points 1 year ago

that sounds great. I legit have funny enough seen my votes change from 5 up to 1,6 k up to 6 up.

Yeah, it is pretty weird. I guess the websockets feature was never tested with 100,000% more users than Lemmy had before. We broke Lemmy :P

[-] lolola@lemmy.world 1 points 1 year ago

Both of these strange bugs happened when I was trying to read this post, and I don't think I ever observed them until just now.

[-] Highsight@lemmy.world 11 points 1 year ago

My understanding is that at the moment, no. It's an artifact of when lemmy was unpopulated. I've heard rumblings that this is going to be changed in the near future though.

[-] cryball@sopuli.xyz 10 points 1 year ago

There is also some type of weird bug where, if you leave a post open for an hour, the content might get replaced by another post. Refreshing the page reverts it back to normal.

[-] PrinceHabib72@vlemmy.net 8 points 1 year ago

As far as I know, no. Hello from someone who was trying to click a different link and this one popped up. I do know they're working on it on github.

[-] JewleZ@lemmy.world 2 points 1 year ago

Ahh sure. Thank you.

[-] Skelectus@suppo.fi 6 points 1 year ago

That's a well known issue on large servers. I don't think the user can do anything about it, but it should be fixed soon.

[-] awweaver@lemmynsfw.com 6 points 1 year ago
this post was submitted on 14 Jun 2023
62 points (100.0% liked)

Lemmy.World Announcements

28381 readers
2 users here now

This Community is intended for posts about the Lemmy.world server by the admins.

Follow us for server news ๐Ÿ˜

Outages ๐Ÿ”ฅ

https://status.lemmy.world

For support with issues at Lemmy.world, go to the Lemmy.world Support community.

Support e-mail

Any support requests are best sent to info@lemmy.world e-mail.

Report contact

Donations ๐Ÿ’—

If you would like to make a donation to support the cost of running this platform, please do so at the following donation URLs.

If you can, please use / switch to Ko-Fi, it has the lowest fees for us

Ko-Fi (Donate)

Bunq (Donate)

Open Collective backers and sponsors

Patreon

Join the team

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS