you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Treczoks@lemmy.world 57 points 2 months ago

I once suggested a similar project at our company. One of our products is labelled in braille. For technical reasons it was the easiest way to drill holes in the front plate and stick a transparent plastic insert through from the back.

My suggestion was to add a few blue LEDs behind it to light up those braille dots. It would have been meaningless for the intended user - but it would have looked way cool!

[-] BanjoShepard@lemmy.world 39 points 2 months ago

I often think of this sign I saw at a small children's playground with braille on it hung 6 feet in the air with no way to reach it. Braille printed on a sign posted too high to reach.

[-] Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world 18 points 2 months ago

I think of the sign that says "hot surface do not touch" with accompanying braille.

[-] Treczoks@lemmy.world 4 points 2 months ago

Yep. That one was made by a guy who made all kinds of warning plates for their plant, and legal & corporate requirements were that every sign has to have braille on it. I don't think the department requesting that sign from their sign-making-department had this on their screens...

[-] BluesF@lemmy.world 14 points 2 months ago

There's also no way for someone who needs Braille to actually DO the "puzzle". The other words don't have Braille, the map appears to be flat. Terrible design.

[-] MindTraveller@lemmy.ca 11 points 2 months ago

Nah the black parts of the sign are recessed. You can see from the lighting.

[-] BluesF@lemmy.world 1 points 2 months ago

Still, there should be Braille for the text too.

[-] baatliwala@lemmy.world 6 points 2 months ago

Surely they could have made that a little more challenging than having a straight line?

[-] Turun@feddit.de 2 points 2 months ago

Maybe the builder just mounted the panel the wrong way? It serves as a wall for the platform behind it.

[-] BanjoShepard@lemmy.world 4 points 2 months ago

There's a different printing on the other side too.

[-] bobs_monkey@lemm.ee 2 points 2 months ago

I'd like to think of that as supplementary design.

this post was submitted on 14 Jul 2024
826 points (98.8% liked)

memes

9815 readers
3277 users here now

Community rules

1. Be civilNo trolling, bigotry or other insulting / annoying behaviour

2. No politicsThis is non-politics community. For political memes please go to !politicalmemes@lemmy.world

3. No recent repostsCheck for reposts when posting a meme, you can only repost after 1 month

4. No botsNo bots without the express approval of the mods or the admins

5. No Spam/AdsNo advertisements or spam. This is an instance rule and the only way to live.

Sister communities

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS