I am looking into getting started in web development and I came across The Odin Project. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to pay for a course right now. I currently work in a senior desktop support and systems admin role and I am seeking to pivot into web development. Is this realistic? What advice or websites would you recommend for me? Thank you very much in advance!

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] aadil@merv.news 2 points 1 year ago

The Odin Project literally changed my life. It's hard but so worth it. Go for it ๐Ÿ’ฏ

I really appreciate your sharing this as I have hopes that it will do the same for me. I am mired right now in desktop support and I hate every waking minute of it. I hate the sense of over entitlement of users. I am sick of being treated as the help despite being employed by the same agency they are. The "customer service model" of desktop support is flawed and encourages bad behavior on the part of the end user. Not even baristas, waiters and waitresses, or customer service of any field should be treated like "the help."

[-] aadil@merv.news 3 points 1 year ago

โœŠ hang in there buddy and keep trucking. I was similarly in a low place when I started Odin. I'd just dropped out of college (for the second time).

Decided right then that I was going to become a developer and kept working away at it with a blank mind. I made tons of mistakes but felt liberated by working towards my goal.

Good on you for pushing through! I am going to do my 1-2 hours of learning tonight. My clothes washer broke last night so I have to go to the laundromat. Hey man, if it's not one thing, it's another. I can't afford to fix the damn thing too. ๐Ÿ˜†

this post was submitted on 21 Jul 2023
-3 points (44.0% liked)

Web Development

3430 readers
1 users here now

Welcome to the web development community! This is a place to post, discuss, get help about, etc. anything related to web development

What is web development?

Web development is the process of creating websites or web applications

Rules/Guidelines

Related Communities

Wormhole

Some webdev blogsNot sure what to post in here? Want some web development related things to read?

Heres a couple blogs that have web development related content

CreditsIcon base by Delapouite under CC BY 3.0 with modifications to add a gradient

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS