submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by RoosterBoy@lemm.ee to c/asklemmy@lemmy.ml

I like being able to edit titles!

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] bazongo@lemmy.world 0 points 1 year ago

What are the alternatives? I can tell you that lemmy is and probably never will actually be a viable alternative

[-] RoosterBoy@lemm.ee 4 points 1 year ago

With that attitude it won't be.

[-] RagingNerdoholic@lemmy.ca 4 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

There really are no viable, slipstream alternatives. The only entities with the resources to spin up a massive, centralized social link aggregator and community-based discussion system would be a handful of companies in big tech (Facebook, Twitter, Alphabet/Google, etc.), and none of them have platforms that are appropriately analogous to reddit. Even if they did, three weeks to migrate and onboard millions of users is a tall order.

Lemmy is the closest thing I've found so far in terms of a similar experience and UX, and while it's still pretty rough around the edges (mainly in terms of UX and infrastructure redundancy), the decentralized nature enables it to scale horizontally without requiring resource expansion for a single player. It definitely needs some work to optimize instance implementation and capacity-based promotion, but I believe it has a lot of potential.

this post was submitted on 11 Jun 2023
95 points (100.0% liked)

Asklemmy

43531 readers
1875 users here now

A loosely moderated place to ask open-ended questions

Search asklemmy ๐Ÿ”

If your post meets the following criteria, it's welcome here!

1. Open-ended question
  2. Not offensive: at this point, we do not have the bandwidth to moderate overtly political discussions. Assume best intent and be excellent to each other.
  3. Not regarding using or support for Lemmy: context, see the list of support communities and tools for finding communities below
  4. Not ad nauseam inducing: please make sure it is a question that would be new to most members
  5. An actual topic of discussion

Looking for support?

Looking for a community?

~Icon~ ~by~ ~@Double_A@discuss.tchncs.de~

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS