you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] SkyeStarfall@lemmy.blahaj.zone 6 points 1 year ago

AI is not unbiased. AI incorporates the biases of the data it is fed and the people who created it. "Unbiased AI" is a myth (and so is unbiased news/media, but that's another discussion).

[-] Thorny_Thicket@sopuli.xyz 1 points 1 year ago

This might apply to LLMs and such but there's no reason a true AGI couldn't be completely unbiased though it could also be biased in a way that benefits itself.

[-] SkyeStarfall@lemmy.blahaj.zone 2 points 1 year ago

How do you solve the problem of ethics? Is there even such a thing as objectively true ethics?

You have to answer that question before you can even start saying that being unbiased is possible in the first place.

[-] Thorny_Thicket@sopuli.xyz -1 points 1 year ago

If we're speaking of an AGI then I don't need to solve those issues but it's going to do it for me. By definition AGI doesn't need a human to improve itself.

[-] SkyeStarfall@lemmy.blahaj.zone 3 points 1 year ago

How will you tell the AI what the proper ethics for humans are?

After all, you want the AI to be in service of humans, of us.. right? If not, what is going to stop the AI from just being entirely self-serving?

[-] Thorny_Thicket@sopuli.xyz -1 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I think we have a very different view of what a true AGI will be like. I don't need to tell/teach it anything. It'll be million times smarter than me and hopefully will teach me instead.

Nothing stops it from being entirely self-serving. That's why I expect it to destroy us.

[-] SkyeStarfall@lemmy.blahaj.zone 2 points 1 year ago

So then why are you looking forward to it?

[-] Thorny_Thicket@sopuli.xyz 0 points 1 year ago

I think it's inevitable so might aswell hope it'll turn out fine, but I doubt it. What I'm looking forward to is the ideal version of it

this post was submitted on 24 Jul 2023
24 points (87.5% liked)

Technology

58437 readers
6509 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS