you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Pika@lemmy.world 1 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I wouldn't be against multiple universal apps for Freedom of choice tbh. Like there's already matrix which is attempting to do something like that for chats with bridges, and the there's also beeper which uses the same framework iirc

[-] veniasilente@lemm.ee 0 points 1 year ago

multiple universal apps

multiple

universal

apps

¿???????

[-] Pika@lemmy.world 3 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I'm not 100% sure where the confusion is coming from so I apologize in advance for the ignorance. Yea universal as in you can do everything there. I'm not sure how the term universal would mean there can only be one. It would be counter productive to the freedom of the internet to have it that way. I would prefer to be able to access everything from one app. Would save a buttload of space on my phone and would make things universally easier by having the same interface across everything. I would prefer it to not be twitter since the platform sucks, but I wouldn't be against something like that and thats the wonderfulness of the internet, you can have more than one service doing the same thing.

The term universal and distinct are not mutual, unless I misunderstood the definition of universal somewhere

A good example of this would be pideon, I used to use that as a service to be able to access XMPP, IRC, Skype (back in the day), and google chat. Universal app that could be used for all my social needs, without having a monopoly.

this post was submitted on 23 Jul 2023
480 points (94.8% liked)

Technology

58311 readers
5983 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS