kids tablesaw (sh.itjust.works)
submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by sandman2211@sh.itjust.works to c/diy@sh.itjust.works

Kids need tablesaws too, right? This one uses a sheet metal nibbler so it's completely safe, even a toddler-sized pinkie finger won't fit into the moving cutterhead.

Full credit to this cool instructable - I was going to use an oscillating multitool until I stumbled across this idea which is even safer:

https://www.instructables.com/Table-Saw-for-Kids/

To explain the theme - I have a lot of Dewalt stuff so I wanted my kids to feel like they had a real powertool, not some plastic kiddy toy. It cuts paper, thin wood, thinner cardboard (think Amazon boxes, not Target or diaper boxes) and sheet metal. I haven't tried that last one because I don't want to scratch up my nice paint job.

Functional dust collection port in back

I had an old 18v drill with a wobbly arbor so it was perfect for this project. The cutterhead is just a cheap sheet metal nibbler.

Internals with a coat of paint

Close up of the fence locking hardware

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Barbacamanitu@lemmy.world 3 points 1 year ago

At first glance, I thought this was insane and unsafe. With a closer look, I've gotta say that this is pretty cool and creative. Well done.

Do nibblers leave the edge of sheet metal sharp? I'm sure you've considered that if so.

[-] sandman2211@sh.itjust.works 2 points 1 year ago

Thanks! They only use it for paper, cardboard, and really thin boards, like less than 1/8". Sheet metal would definitely have a sharp edge and the little crescent moon chips it makes would be absolute hell if they ever were to get spilled in the carpet or lawn.

this post was submitted on 13 Jun 2023
7 points (100.0% liked)

diy

811 readers
1 users here now

Built something cool? Need help bringing vision and reality into alignment? Let's talk about it here!

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS