Damnit people (midwest.social)
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] SharkEatingBreakfast@sopuli.xyz 62 points 5 months ago

To be fair, many people were sold fake eclipse glasses that claimed to be safe.

I feel awful for folks who were duped.

[-] FriendBesto@lemmy.ml 12 points 5 months ago* (last edited 5 months ago)

Mostly in Illinois, and on Amazon, some people who literally bought ISO 12312-2020 instead of ISO12312-2 glasses. There is a story on it.

I knew nothing about the proper ISO for eclipse glasses beforehand but if I was going to risk my eyesight and the eyesight of those who I love like that, you bet I was going to learn about it via due diligence.

Solar eclipse glasses sold on Amazon, in stores recalled: Illinois health officials say

Most people however seemed to have screwed with their eyesight by just looking at the sun. Seems political inclination was really not a factor. Stupidity or lack of education were.

[-] ILikeBoobies@lemmy.ca 9 points 5 months ago

Yeah, I wouldn’t trust any glasses that I could buy

If I was going to view it then I would have built a pinhole projector

[-] Liz@midwest.social 19 points 5 months ago

You can buy glasses approved by the American Astrological Society, which independently checked that the glasses were safe. (They're supposed to meet an ISO standard, but this is a double check.) Also, you can test them at home, by looking at lightbulbs and around your house. If you can see anything that isn't the emitting source of a bright light (like the actual diode of an LED) then they're not dark enough.

[-] Sibbo@sopuli.xyz 9 points 5 months ago
[-] jdf038@mander.xyz 11 points 5 months ago

The moon is in Scorpio so these are safe bro. Don't be such a Taurus

[-] captainlezbian@lemmy.world 5 points 5 months ago

Yeah I checked the ones a coworker gave me by looking at an LED too bright to not hurt my eyes. Since I couldn’t see it at all I felt safe

[-] SharkEatingBreakfast@sopuli.xyz 5 points 5 months ago

Yep!

I got a handful of pairs from ICStars (found on the Astronomical Society website) and checked them with the method you described. Neither myself nor anyone I gave them to experienced any discomfort or eye strain. I was really relieved and super happy!

Not a shill. Just excited I got to see the eclipse in time because of them. (:

[-] esc27@lemmy.world 2 points 5 months ago

I just poked a hole through a dozen or so sheets and held it over another pile of sheets. Trivial and worked well enough for seeing the partial eclipse.

[-] NikkiDimes@lemmy.world 2 points 5 months ago

I don't know how I feel about this..

this post was submitted on 08 Apr 2024
734 points (98.9% liked)

main

1333 readers
4 users here now

Default community for midwest.social. Post questions about the instance or questions you want to ask other users here.

founded 3 years ago
MODERATORS