you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] palordrolap@kbin.social 7 points 1 year ago

In 1994, CGI back-ends were the closest thing to interactivity in the browser, and that's far back enough that a good deal of it was written in C. Strong typing abounds!

But JavaScript was an absolute joy by comparison. Heck, even Perl CGI was a joy compared to having to write executables for every fricking thing.

Note that by JavaScript, I mean the mostly hand-crafted stuff in earlier sites, not the enormous frameworks that are in use these days.

[-] fibojoly@sh.itjust.works 6 points 1 year ago

Hear, hear! In 1998, I did my work experience at a local ISP and was tasked with coding a backend that would create accounts for people wanting to buy an internet subscription from us.
IIS was still in beta so my boss decided I would use Linux, this new fangled language called PHP and just write a CGI in C that would do the actual creation of accounts on our server (IIRC).
I spent a few weeks on a console terminal, using vi, doing C; which was as abominable as one might expect. PHP was fucking magic, in comparison. And on the front-end, I used a bit of JavaScript to add some interaction and reactivity and that was just fun!

Heck, seventeen years later and I still think it's a fun language to use.

Anyway I don't know where in was going with this... you kids don't know how good you have it, is what I'm saying.

this post was submitted on 18 Jul 2023
743 points (93.2% liked)

Programmer Humor

32124 readers
1354 users here now

Post funny things about programming here! (Or just rant about your favourite programming language.)

Rules:

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS