submitted 6 months ago by nitefox@sh.itjust.works to c/asklemmy@lemmy.ml
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] sbv@sh.itjust.works 18 points 6 months ago

Sometimes. I prefer to use libraries with Libby.

If my library doesn't have an ebook available, I'll get an electronic version. Paper books don't make a lot of sense to me: I only read them once, I rarely lend them out, they seem like a waste of energy for what is essentially just data.

Paper books have a romance. The idea of having a stocked personal library is cool, it just doesn't fit my lifestyle, personality, or budget.

[-] variants@possumpat.io 4 points 6 months ago

I've bought physical books then bought digital because I usually poop at work and that's the best time for a quick read

[-] sbv@sh.itjust.works 4 points 6 months ago

My boss makes a dollar

I make a dime

That's why I read in the shitter on company time

[-] grrgyle@slrpnk.net 2 points 6 months ago

I just keep a book in the bathroom.

I have a complicated series of motions that I've developed from a young age to make sure I don't contaminate a book with the bad hand

Paper books have a romance. The idea of having a stocked personal library is cool, it just doesn't fit my lifestyle, personality, or budget.

Totally fair of course, but just as a suggestion for others who want to own books on a budget, I suggest thrift stores (like for clothing). They usually have a whole section of use books for very cheap.

And of course there's used book stores.

[-] sbv@sh.itjust.works 2 points 6 months ago

It isn't the price of the books, it's the price of the space and furniture to showcase them in an appropriate manner.

That's fair too. For my part, I've recently started to maintain one bookshelf (found on curbside give-away day) and churn through it, keeping a couple notable favorites as conversation starters or for loaning out.

But the physical presence is important to me, so it's worth the real estate it takes up in the room. I can totally understand how that isn't the case for everyone.

this post was submitted on 31 Mar 2024
130 points (97.1% liked)

Asklemmy

43503 readers
2293 users here now

A loosely moderated place to ask open-ended questions

Search asklemmy ๐Ÿ”

If your post meets the following criteria, it's welcome here!

1. Open-ended question
  2. Not offensive: at this point, we do not have the bandwidth to moderate overtly political discussions. Assume best intent and be excellent to each other.
  3. Not regarding using or support for Lemmy: context, see the list of support communities and tools for finding communities below
  4. Not ad nauseam inducing: please make sure it is a question that would be new to most members
  5. An actual topic of discussion

Looking for support?

Looking for a community?

~Icon~ ~by~ ~@Double_A@discuss.tchncs.de~

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS