submitted 1 year ago by YoTcA@feddit.de to c/fediverse@lemmy.ml

Lately I often read about kbin.social being similar to lemmy but more accessible. So I created an account there to check it out. My experience so far is a little mixed. From kbin I can access all Lemmy posts, although I find the interface less intuitive to join new communities. So from the kbin side it feels like an other Lemmy instance.

But when searching for kbin from this Lemmy Account, I do not find much. I feel like I am missing some basic concept, that makes it pretty clear. Why this is such a one way experience.

So now I am wondering: How does this work, what are the difference, what do both sites have in common?

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] 0xtero@kbin.social 0 points 1 year ago

Also, Lemmys devs have pretty radical political views and I don’t want to support sites that don’t care about human rights

[-] jadedctrl@sopuli.xyz 5 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Lemmy isn’t a site, it’s a piece of server-software. The software is written by a couple of people with bad political opinions, who also run a popular site using that software, Lemmy.ml.

You can skip using Lemmy.ml and just use another server using this software. The software itself isn’t magically poisoned or anything!

[-] Kovari@lemmy.ml 2 points 1 year ago

That seems a rather simple statement to throw out there without backing it up..are we supposed to just repeat information like parrots now? Or is there information out there I haven't been made aware of?

[-] jadedctrl@sopuli.xyz 2 points 1 year ago

From what I understand, one of the core devs (Dessalines) is a Marxist-Lenninist; they later founded the second Lemmy instance, Lemmygrad.ml.

Recently, there was some discussion on Lemmy.ml’s (the first and official-ish instance) policy of banning any crticisms of China’s government (e.g., even mentioning the Uyghur genocide) on their own servers.

[-] Kovari@lemmy.ml 1 points 1 year ago

Hmm..... I see the points being made. Thanks for supplying actual information. I think it's a bit too soon to see how this will play out, and people are quite malleable, so this will be interesting to watch develop.

[-] mrmanager@lemmy.today -2 points 1 year ago

Whatever country you are in, they don't actually care about human rights. It's all driven by greed and power.

this post was submitted on 10 Jun 2023
34 points (100.0% liked)

Fediverse

17591 readers
95 users here now

A community dedicated to fediverse news and discussion.

Fediverse is a portmanteau of "federation" and "universe".

Getting started on Fediverse;

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS