Hi there! What's been on your mind? What have you done this week? Any fun plans next week?

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] PKMKII@waveform.social 2 points 1 year ago

Interesting sound design trick for ethereal chord pads with a wavetable synth: modulate wave scan speed with key/pitch tracking such that higher pitch means faster scan speed. Makes it such that each note’s timbre is always in a slightly different spot/rate than the other notes in the chord. Got the idea from a video on old school 90’s IDM techniques, where they would load one shot, single note samples from a monosynth into a sampler and then use looping/ping-ponging of the sample to play chords. Because it was the days before readily available time stretching each note would run through the sample at a different speed, and I figured pitch modulating wave scan speed would do something similar.

[-] Underwaterbob@lemm.ee 2 points 1 year ago

I do something like this with the Hydrasynth. The 2.0 firmware lets you set modulation values per voice. I thought it was a bit gimmicky at first, but if you set it up to use different wavetables or scan rates per voice, you get some really interesting results.

this post was submitted on 14 Jul 2023
14 points (100.0% liked)

Synthesizers

1 readers
1 users here now

Welcome to our synth sanctuary, where we turn knobs and make music, one 'note'-orious post at a time!

You can connect with our friends over at:

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS