submitted 6 months ago by Lemmchen@feddit.de to c/steamdeck@sopuli.xyz
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Fubarberry@sopuli.xyz 3 points 6 months ago

As far as the arm processor goes, there are a ton of Android handhelds on the market. Obviously an android gaming handheld though is limited compared to something like the steam deck, but ARM processors are a lot more power efficient than x86 processors which is great for handhelds.

There are projects like box86 that are trying to get traditional PC games running on Linux ARM hardware, I'm guessing they'll be the core of what Playtron is working around.

If Playtron contributes to that project, it could actually be really good for the future of Linux. That said I'm worried that nothing will actually come from this project, or that they won't upstream their improvements. I suspect the future of PC's will be ARM or RISC, so any projects that improve ARM backwards compatibility with x86 will be good for the future.

[-] Essence_of_Meh@lemmy.world 1 points 6 months ago

I was mostly thinking about ones that can play PC games as Android ones are kind of their own thing. Box86 seems like an interesting project but I'm wondering how feasible it is for a project like this - do you have any experience with it and if so, is there any noticeable performance hit when playing?

I'm certainly interested in the possible power efficiency improvements coming from such project so I hope my initial response turns out to be just an unreasonable wariness when this thing comes out. All we can do is wait for now, I guess.

this post was submitted on 20 Mar 2024
27 points (80.0% liked)

Steam Deck

14605 readers
262 users here now

A place to discuss and support all things Steam Deck.

Replacement for r/steamdeck_linux.

As Lemmy doesn't have flairs yet, you can use these prefixes to indicate what type of post you have made, eg:
[Flair] My post title

The following is a list of suggested flairs:
[Discussion] - General discussion.
[Help] - A request for help or support.
[News] - News about the deck.
[PSA] - Sharing important information.
[Game] - News / info about a game on the deck.
[Update] - An update to a previous post.
[Meta] - Discussion about this community.

Some more Steam Deck specific flairs:
[Boot Screen] - Custom boot screens/videos.
[Selling] - If you are selling your deck.

These are not enforced, but they are encouraged.

Rules:

Link to our Matrix Space

founded 3 years ago
MODERATORS