"ohhhh, punk has been made too widely palatable and for everyone. REAL punks are like presbyterian minister mr rogers!" there are still hardcore bands out there! you can go see them if you want! i bet this person would listen to the ramones and go "umm, he wants to sniff glue? are we glorifying drug addiction now? this is SO not punk!"

there are people in the notes going "yeah! this is so true!"

i think this is part of a broader trend of people feeling to need to justify everything they enjoy, it can't just be a show they remember fondly from when they were a kid, it needs to be punk

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] GalaxyBrain@hexbear.net 6 points 6 months ago

This is punk Mr. Rogers would hate it. There is a bit of truth to it where I did get taught by cool pinks early on that being Sid Vicious at people is cringe and if you're a dirty punk, thr impression you give will carry over to any other punks they meet and as a consequence I've made sure to be really really nice to strangers. Punks have about a dozen or so sub subcultures but your none oogle crust types who are more of the antisect/discharge than gg Allin/spiderweb face tattoo and banjo side of things do practice the none Christian parts of being Mr Rogers and radical kindness is what keeps this ship afloat. We couldn't have flown a band from Moscow to Canada for a 6 date tour and made it worthwhile and trust worthy if it weren't for that mentality. DIY punk has worldwide underground organizing I desperately wish could be put to more use than letting bands tour and put out records and priestly managing to break even.

[-] Cromalin@hexbear.net 6 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

yeah, like. there is a kernal of truth to the ideas that lead to people saying "mr rogers is punk". but people hear "punk isn't just like, defiance and being in your face and an asshole, punk can also involve being nice to strangers and helping people out and making sure no one is left out in the cold" and just hear "the only thing punk is about is being nice :)"

mr rogers could not hang in the diy scene, that's not a failing of his* it's just not what he was.

*i couldn't either! i like punk, i listen to the music and i try to attend local shows when i can, but i'm not living the lifestyle. i wouldn't claim to be punk, but i sure as shit am more punk than mr rogers

[-] GalaxyBrain@hexbear.net 3 points 6 months ago

Ehhh, most punks are just like...working poor nerds. Depends on where you live but it's not thatcher London and there isn't necessarily a cool squat network in your town. I have noticed from being at work where I'm around normal people that I am punk as fuck in what I consider pretty normal interaction can be taken as very blunt, abrasive and confrontational but once people notice I'm just as blunt abrasive and confrontational while being nice. Being up front, honest and proactive is for sure punk and that applies to being nice as well and the lack of being used to regulating is generally shocking especially when I first meet people and am.makong sure to not do the critical end of just saying what ya feel. No one expects it when you're genuinely kinda scary looking.

[-] Cromalin@hexbear.net 3 points 6 months ago

that's fair, don't mean to make it sound like a big mystical thing. just that it's very much not what mr rogers was about

[-] GalaxyBrain@hexbear.net 4 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

It is magic and it's also pathetic drunk losers playing the worst music ever. It's punks. What I would looooove to see is the DIY networking example set be used for other things. I feel like tabletop games and other nerd stuff worked the same way pre-internet with independent zines with mailing lists in the back and stuff. Punk still works this way but there's also an email address. Having songs on band camp is about as digital as things go.

[-] HexReplyBot@hexbear.net 1 points 6 months ago

I found a YouTube link in your comment. Here are links to the same video on alternative frontends that protect your privacy:

this post was submitted on 19 Mar 2024
94 points (100.0% liked)

the_dunk_tank

15893 readers
448 users here now

It's the dunk tank.

This is where you come to post big-brained hot takes by chuds, libs, or even fellow leftists, and tear them to itty-bitty pieces with precision dunkstrikes.

Rule 1: All posts must include links to the subject matter, and no identifying information should be redacted.

Rule 2: If your source is a reactionary website, please use archive.is instead of linking directly.

Rule 3: No sectarianism.

Rule 4: TERF/SWERFs Not Welcome

Rule 5: No ableism of any kind (that includes stuff like libt*rd)

Rule 6: Do not post fellow hexbears.

Rule 7: Do not individually target other instances' admins or moderators.

Rule 8: The subject of a post cannot be low hanging fruit, that is comments/posts made by a private person that have low amount of upvotes/likes/views. Comments/Posts made on other instances that are accessible from hexbear are an exception to this. Posts that do not meet this requirement can be posted to !shitreactionariessay@lemmygrad.ml

Rule 9: if you post ironic rage bait im going to make a personal visit to your house to make sure you never make this mistake again

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS