submitted 6 months ago by AstroLightz@lemmy.world to c/asklemmy@lemmy.ml
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] viking@infosec.pub 15 points 6 months ago

1000/1000 for like $3 a month. But that's with the caveat of living in China, where I need a VPN to access most western websites, so that's my bottleneck.

Domestically I can get the full bandwidth when streaming (ton of English content available for cheap), but once I need to use the VPN it drops to maybe 200-300 mbit, depending on the server and current utilization.

Moving to Malaysia in less than 2 months where I can get 2gbit for about $90 (tested at my friend's house), but honestly I think I'll settle on 500. It's more than I can realistically use in a 2 person household, and it's like 20 bucks.

[-] Pete90@feddit.de 4 points 6 months ago

500 is the sweet spot, at least for downloads. I have it and it's fast enough for all my needs. Upload can be less, although I'd love to have more than the current 50. Good luck with your move!

[-] viking@infosec.pub 1 points 6 months ago

Thanks a lot! Will be an interesting journey for sure.

And yeah that's what I thought, I had 100 asymmetrical before when living alone, and thought there's still room for improvement, but it's a declining balance really. My friend has a 4 person household and never even came close to utilizing his full bandwidth, he basically told me he took the biggest package just because he could.

this post was submitted on 15 Mar 2024
131 points (96.5% liked)

Asklemmy

43465 readers
824 users here now

A loosely moderated place to ask open-ended questions

Search asklemmy ๐Ÿ”

If your post meets the following criteria, it's welcome here!

1. Open-ended question
  2. Not offensive: at this point, we do not have the bandwidth to moderate overtly political discussions. Assume best intent and be excellent to each other.
  3. Not regarding using or support for Lemmy: context, see the list of support communities and tools for finding communities below
  4. Not ad nauseam inducing: please make sure it is a question that would be new to most members
  5. An actual topic of discussion

Looking for support?

Looking for a community?

~Icon~ ~by~ ~@Double_A@discuss.tchncs.de~

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS