submitted 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago) by Daft_ish@lemmy.world to c/showerthoughts@lemmy.world
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] smuuthbrane@sh.itjust.works 24 points 6 months ago

But Facebook still exists.

[-] Daft_ish@lemmy.world 19 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

Yep, it still exists. Like a marionetted corpse waltzing around selling garage sale items and finding lost dogs.

[-] smuuthbrane@sh.itjust.works 6 points 6 months ago

I think you're confusing it with Zuckerberg. Or maybe they're one and the same?

[-] LordOfLocksley@lemmy.world 12 points 6 months ago

Yeah, but have you seen the state of it recently? It's a shell of its former self

[-] CosmicTurtle@lemmy.world 15 points 6 months ago

Maybe but it's almost a $2trillion dollar company. Might be a shell, but it's popular.

[-] Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world 2 points 6 months ago

"Addictive, coercive and profitable" ≠ Popular.

[-] Knuschberkeks@feddit.de 0 points 6 months ago

that's Meta, not Facebook. I'd say now FB is one of their least valuable assets.

[-] tigeruppercut@lemmy.zip 1 points 6 months ago

Maybe Zuck should add some legs to fb too

[-] Kolanaki@yiffit.net 10 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

As someone who joined Facebook way back when it was brand spanking new to the public: It's always sucked. I don't even remember a single person who chose it over MySpace until way later on when they added games to FB.

[-] Daft_ish@lemmy.world 4 points 6 months ago

I'll fight you over Farmville. Jk, no you're right. FB died in the womb. The moment our parents found out about it.

[-] smuuthbrane@sh.itjust.works 8 points 6 months ago

No, and I don't intend to. Fuck that place.

[-] Holzkohlen@feddit.de 1 points 6 months ago

I have not, thankfully.

[-] Kbobabob@lemmy.world 8 points 6 months ago

I don't understand the "killed Facebook" thing either. I haven't used Facebook in almost 10 years but as far as I know it's still printing money.

[-] BlueSquid0741@lemmy.sdf.org 9 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

Killed Facebook because the people who were into it and enjoyed using it.. stopped using it 10 years ago. If I were to log into my Facebook account right now, I would see my mum posting Sovereign Citizen stuff. My aunty sharing photo after photo of my nephews and nieces. My other aunty talking about her later life crisis holidays to South Africa. And advertisement after advertisement for random junk.

If I’m lucky, one of my friends will have posted something like “Photo from Butterfly Effect reunion last night. These guys still kick ass”

“Facebook” is alive and well but it’s a different product than we knew and, whether intended or not, target audience is boomers and terminally online jerkoffs.

[-] key@lemmy.keychat.org 6 points 6 months ago

And by most estimates it has more active users than ever.

It's no longer "hip" but being hip and being popular are opposing goals.

this post was submitted on 09 Mar 2024
1063 points (95.9% liked)

Showerthoughts

29333 readers
733 users here now

A "Showerthought" is a simple term used to describe the thoughts that pop into your head while you're doing everyday things like taking a shower, driving, or just daydreaming. The best ones are thoughts that many people can relate to and they find something funny or interesting in regular stuff.

Rules

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS