submitted 7 months ago by markus99@lemmy.world to c/linux@lemmy.ml
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] velox_vulnus@lemmy.ml 46 points 7 months ago
[-] simple@lemm.ee 12 points 7 months ago

Not surprising considering just how much India is running on old hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if a big chunk of laptops there don't even support win11.

[-] reddit_sux@lemmy.world 9 points 7 months ago

That is surprising perhaps govts push for adoption in Kerala and elsewhere is the reason.

[-] onlinepersona@programming.dev 1 points 7 months ago
[-] h3mlocke@lemm.ee 1 points 7 months ago
[-] reddit_sux@lemmy.world 1 points 7 months ago
[-] onlinepersona@programming.dev 0 points 7 months ago

Wow, OK. I half expected a linux distro called Kerala. Hopefully this stance spreads!

CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

[-] jackpot@lemmy.ml 1 points 7 months ago

did you just creative commons kerala? is that even how that works. i cant just run a pc program to creative commons every possible phrase

[-] onlinepersona@programming.dev 1 points 7 months ago

That's how licenses work. They protect every single word and if somebody uses that word henceforth, they breach the license.

CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

[-] doors_3@discuss.tchncs.de 4 points 7 months ago

I saw lot of folks in college switch to Linux, especially Ubuntu back in the day. It was considered synonymous with coding here. There was a time I could recognize that Ubuntu's Unity DE from anywhere before it was killed(and resurrected again recently).

[-] velox_vulnus@lemmy.ml 2 points 7 months ago

Unity was my first desktop, around the 2010s. Around 2020, I came back to Linux with the intention to ditch Windows forever.

[-] doors_3@discuss.tchncs.de 1 points 7 months ago

I switched completely to Linux somewhere around 2016, I guess. I gave Windows 11 a spin recently but it didn't leave too good of an impression.

[-] jackpot@lemmy.ml 2 points 7 months ago

how do you check indovidual countries?

[-] velox_vulnus@lemmy.ml 2 points 7 months ago

You just have to scroll down. Over there, you'll see the countries parameters.

this post was submitted on 01 Mar 2024
953 points (98.1% liked)

Linux

47484 readers
1056 users here now

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Linux is a family of open source Unix-like operating systems based on the Linux kernel, an operating system kernel first released on September 17, 1991 by Linus Torvalds. Linux is typically packaged in a Linux distribution (or distro for short).

Distributions include the Linux kernel and supporting system software and libraries, many of which are provided by the GNU Project. Many Linux distributions use the word "Linux" in their name, but the Free Software Foundation uses the name GNU/Linux to emphasize the importance of GNU software, causing some controversy.

Rules

Related Communities

Community icon by Alpár-Etele Méder, licensed under CC BY 3.0

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS