you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Gutotito@kbin.social 5 points 1 year ago

Was anyone actually spending money on that crap?

[-] FuckFashMods@kbin.social 7 points 1 year ago

Reddit used to fund all their servers with it and had a gold goal.

[-] GrossGhost@kbin.social 5 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Yes haha. Constantly. I wouldn't be surprised if they're happy to be rid of the type of user who would move to the fediverse anyway. Maybe that was their plan all along.

[-] EricKendrick@feddit.uk 2 points 1 year ago

Yep, and was proud to - let me support Reddit and good contributors.

I wonder if the exodus of people like myself brought this on - the drop in awards given may have been significant indicator or less engagement, so needed to muddy the waters?

[-] zalack@kbin.social 4 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Yeah, I bought gold a few times. I had no problem with "this content was so good it inspired me to give back a little to the free service we're all using."

I wouldn't mind some equivalent for the fediverse honestly. Let me donate to the home server of a user who's comment I thought was especially good.

I know you can donate directly, but I do think there was something about also making another user's day that felt good about the Gold system. The service gets some fuel in the tank and the comment author gets a little boost to their mood. It was nice.

I agree it got way too out of hand when they moved beyond Gold though.

[-] itscozydownhere@lemmy.world 1 points 1 year ago

Yeah the same that buy skins in games

But honestly, good. It’s those people that keep the stuff free for the others

this post was submitted on 13 Jul 2023
71 points (100.0% liked)

Reddit Migration

19 readers
2 users here now

### About Community Tracking and helping #redditmigration to Kbin and the Fediverse. Say hello to the decentralized and open future. To see latest reeddit blackout info, see here: https://reddark.untone.uk/

founded 1 year ago