YES PLEASE (hexbear.net)
submitted 7 months ago* (last edited 7 months ago) by Tachanka@hexbear.net to c/chapotraphouse@hexbear.net
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] wopazoo@hexbear.net 4 points 7 months ago

It would be pretty stupid, so I guess, yeah?

"Chuddy" is not a synonym for stupid. An offended parent challenges a schoolteacher to a duel by insulting him and slapping him in the face, because the schoolteacher gave his kid a bad mark. In a fit of rage, the schoolteacher accepts the duel, loses the duel, and dies. The offended parent is not arrested, because it was a duel, and winning a duel is not murder. Was the schoolteacher "chuddy"?

[-] Omniraptor@hexbear.net 13 points 7 months ago

being prone fits of rage lasting long enough for you to agree, arrange and fight in a duel seems like a chuddy trait to me

[-] WhatDoYouMeanPodcast@hexbear.net 4 points 7 months ago

Consider the alternative where the school teacher doesn't accept and nothing happens to them. That fit of rage is doing a lot of lifting. "Get away from me, maniac" should be all you need for face and dignity. I don't know where this idea that slapping someone being permissable because they say the magic words of offering a duel comes from.

[-] wopazoo@hexbear.net 3 points 7 months ago

I don't know where this idea that slapping someone being permissable because they say the magic words of offering a duel comes from.

I agree that it's absolutely ridiculous in a modern context where dueling has died as an institution, but historically for one to refuse a duel from a person of equal or greater social standing than them would ruin one's reputation.

this post was submitted on 05 Feb 2024
154 points (100.0% liked)

chapotraphouse

13462 readers
1029 users here now

Banned? DM Wmill to appeal.

No anti-nautilism posts. See: Eco-fascism Primer

Vaush posts go in the_dunk_tank

Dunk posts in general go in the_dunk_tank, not here

Don't post low-hanging fruit here after it gets removed from the_dunk_tank

founded 3 years ago
MODERATORS