submitted 8 months ago by Hammerjack@lemmy.zip to c/cyberpunk@lemmy.zip

I should mention I've never read the manga, I've only watched the Netflix movie. And while I think it's a great post-apocalyptic scifi movie, I thought BLAME! was considered cyberpunk?

The movie is about a distant future where self-replicating machines have covered the entire planet in a giant City (although calling it a "city" is a bit generous, it's mostly a series of pipes and corridors). In this future, the machines now detect all humans as intruders and are trying to eradicate them. So the last remaining humans are just trying to find a way to eke out an existence.

Am I missing something? Can someone explain why this is usually included in lists of cyberpunk anime? It all feels very post-apocalyptic to me. Is it just the lack of plants/nature that gives it a cyberpunk label? Or is there something from the manga that wasn't brought over into the movie and would've added some cyberpunk themes?

To be clear, I'm not saying this is a bad movie by any means, I'm just confused how it's considered cyberpunk. Here's a trailer, and it's still available on Netflix.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] smokin_shinobi@lemmy.world 6 points 8 months ago

The movie is cool but the manga is incredible. The setting and the scaling of things are both top tier.

this post was submitted on 27 Jan 2024
8 points (90.0% liked)

Cyberpunk

622 readers
1 users here now

What is Cyberpunk?

Cyberpunk is a science-fiction sub-genre dealing with the integration of society and technology in dystopian settings. Often referred to as “low-life and high tech,” Cyberpunk stories deal with outsiders (punks) who fight against the oppressors in society (usually mega corporations that control everything) via technological means (cyber). If the punks aren’t actively fighting against a megacorp, they’re still dealing with living in a world completely dependent on high technology.

Cyberpunk characteristics include:

Prefixes for posts

Icon created by @cloudless@feddit.uk.
Banner generated via AI model.

founded 11 months ago
MODERATORS