you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Vilian@lemmy.ca 1 points 1 year ago

why? what he said about lidars?

[-] someguy3@lemmy.ca 8 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

That lidar systems are doomed to failure.

Super long term when machine vision works very well he's right. The question is how long will that take. 5 years? 20 years? 40 years?

[-] Neato@kbin.social 4 points 1 year ago

Maybe he should have invested in more AI instead of buying Twitter to ban people.

[-] eltimablo@kbin.social 4 points 1 year ago

Anecdotally, I've been on the full-vision stack for several months now and it's significantly better at detecting pedestrians and motorcycles. I've also had no phantom braking events since I got into the beta, which is just as important to me. Just last night I had it drive me 10 miles home on Pennsylvania back roads and I didn't have to touch the wheel until it got to my house.

That said, I think having a detailed 3D map of the environment directly out of the sensors is far more useful than trying to generate one from video, but I also don't see a reason not to do both. I'm pretty sure they use Lidar to train the FSD model, too.

this post was submitted on 10 Jul 2023
114 points (95.2% liked)

Videos

14146 readers
377 users here now

For sharing interesting videos from around the Web!

Rules

1. Videos only
  2. Follow the global Mastodon.World rules and the Lemmy.World TOS while posting and commenting.
  3. Link directly to the video source and not for example an embedded video in an article.
  4. Don't be a jerk
  5. No advertising
  6. Avoid clickbait titles. (Tip: Use dearrow)

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS