submitted 8 months ago by satxdude@lemm.ee to c/the_dunk_tank@hexbear.net
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Dirt_Owl@hexbear.net 55 points 8 months ago

Isn't the water in Flint still literally poisonous?

[-] Aryuproudomenowdaddy@hexbear.net 49 points 8 months ago

There's like a dozen towns and a few large cities with unsafe drinking water.

[-] EmmaGoldman@hexbear.net 49 points 8 months ago

Actually most of the US has unsafe drinking water, and there are over a million kids in the US at any given time currently suffering from acute lead poisoning. The EPA's 15ppb action level is much higher than it should be, and even in spite of that nearly half of Americans are getting water above the action level limit thanks to cheating on water testing, deferring action, and local governments outright lying to people.

[-] joaomarrom@hexbear.net 27 points 8 months ago

I was going to make a joke about our site's "ppb action level" but over a million kids with lead poisoning is just fucking bleak, goddamn

I live in the Global South and I drink water straight from the tap because it's safe, meanwhile the US is sending ungodly amounts of money to Ukraine and Israel while children's brains melt from heavy metals back home

desolate

[-] EmmaGoldman@hexbear.net 21 points 8 months ago

The issue is far from localized to the US. A third of water in Canada is above the more reasonable 5ppb limit here. Many global south countries don't even really bother with testing for things like lead or cadmium because there are far more prevalent contaminants to worry about.

So, yeah. Like 1/2 of the world is basically just letting kid's brains melt from lead and doing nothing about it. Test your own water, you're likely to be surprised.

[-] CarsAndComrades@hexbear.net 10 points 8 months ago
[-] EmmaGoldman@hexbear.net 10 points 8 months ago* (last edited 8 months ago)

And plane heads have been crybullying an entire planet into allowing them to keep blasting leaded AVGas exhaust directly into the atmosphere where it's most poisonous for the most people. We've had a functional unleaded Aviation fuel with 80UL since 1981 and these dudes just keep screaming "Waaah you're making my casual hobby less fun! What about all those poor farmers who have to fly their own planes to cropdust, are you gonna force them to buy a new plane???" Even though that's bullshit, the excuse has been working for 40 years! 91UL has been commercially available since 2003, and nobody even cares that it requires at worst a retune.

[-] Dirt_Owl@hexbear.net 26 points 8 months ago

If I were to put on a tinfoil hat for a second, I'd say that the lead poisoning is on purpose. We saw how it sucked the empathy and critical thinking out of older people, maybe thats the idea. Easier to keep capitalism going when no one has the mind to stop it.

[-] GalaxyBrain@hexbear.net 29 points 8 months ago

That's very very tinfoily. Not wanting to pay for maintenance is significantly more likely.

[-] Dirt_Owl@hexbear.net 11 points 8 months ago

I know, thats why I said its tinfoily lol.

[-] axont@hexbear.net 24 points 8 months ago

That's too structured of a plan for capitalists to pursue. You gotta remember: capital is brutish and lazy above all else.

[-] ReadFanon@hexbear.net 19 points 8 months ago

The EPA's 15ppb action level is much higher than it should be

This is a disgusting fact.

To think that the US has set a ppb level like that, which they not only meet but regularly exceed, and meanwhile hexbear has no defined ppb action level and it's definitely not meeting a 15ppb daily posting level routinely.

Lift your game, guys.

[-] 420blazeit69@hexbear.net 4 points 8 months ago
[-] buh@hexbear.net 45 points 8 months ago

Yet people still use it, indicating market demand for water regardless of the lead content smuglord

[-] dumpster_dove@hexbear.net 4 points 8 months ago

Hey kids do you like heavy metal?

[-] sooper_dooper_roofer@hexbear.net 31 points 8 months ago

if you can poison the air enough it doesn't matter as much that the water is too covid-cool

[-] envis10n@hexbear.net 14 points 8 months ago

Big Water did COVID to distract us from their corruption!

this post was submitted on 07 Jan 2024
149 points (100.0% liked)

the_dunk_tank

15891 readers
237 users here now

It's the dunk tank.

This is where you come to post big-brained hot takes by chuds, libs, or even fellow leftists, and tear them to itty-bitty pieces with precision dunkstrikes.

Rule 1: All posts must include links to the subject matter, and no identifying information should be redacted.

Rule 2: If your source is a reactionary website, please use archive.is instead of linking directly.

Rule 3: No sectarianism.

Rule 4: TERF/SWERFs Not Welcome

Rule 5: No ableism of any kind (that includes stuff like libt*rd)

Rule 6: Do not post fellow hexbears.

Rule 7: Do not individually target other instances' admins or moderators.

Rule 8: The subject of a post cannot be low hanging fruit, that is comments/posts made by a private person that have low amount of upvotes/likes/views. Comments/Posts made on other instances that are accessible from hexbear are an exception to this. Posts that do not meet this requirement can be posted to !shitreactionariessay@lemmygrad.ml

Rule 9: if you post ironic rage bait im going to make a personal visit to your house to make sure you never make this mistake again

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS