submitted 9 months ago by shreddy_scientist@lemmy.ml to c/usa@lemmy.ml
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works 4 points 9 months ago* (last edited 9 months ago)

Eh, I see it this way:

• Republicans - desperate to hold on to relevance, so they're going for short-term wins
  • Democrats - desperate to appeal to younger generations, and promoting the wants and needs of minorities seems to be working

I don't see either as caring too much for longer term stability. Democrats want to raise/eliminate the debt limit (i.e. more social programs), and Republicans want to use the debt limit for political concessions (i.e. appeal to base with lip-service to fiscal responsibility), neither seems particularly worried about balancing the budget.

[-] HubertManne@kbin.social 1 points 9 months ago

democrats would allow taxes to be collected to not borrow much. Republicans would get rid of any taxes that are not straight out fee for service. Debt arises from not paying bills.

[-] sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works 1 points 9 months ago* (last edited 9 months ago)

Last year, the US spent $1.7T more than it has received, and the controversial tax plan Biden put out in 2021 would rate revenue by $140-340B depending on the year. That's the most significant tax increase since 1951, and most have been less than a third that for the past 50 years. There have been a lot of Democrats in power in that time, and nobody took the deficit seriously.

You can blame Republicans all you want, but the point is that Democrats haven't been serious about raising taxes to cut the deficit. On the other side of the aisle, Republicans haven't been serious about cutting spending either. I find both major parties wholly disappointing, because even when they have a majority, neither actually does anything to really fix our fiscal problems.

[-] PowerCrazy@lemmy.ml -1 points 9 months ago

What makes you think the democracts have any interest in the "younger generation?" The average age of democrat leadership is OLDER then republicans. Voter turn out among the younger generation is also abysmal because the dem do not appeal to the younger generation at all.

[-] sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works 1 points 9 months ago* (last edited 9 months ago)

I didn't say they're successful at it, just that seems to be who they're trying to appeal to, at least in their public statements, such as:

• LGBTQ+ support
  • minimum wage increases - I hope this mostly impacts younger voters
  • free education/student loan forgiveness
  • abortion

Those are things young people care about. Whether they're successful is another issue.

this post was submitted on 29 Dec 2023
178 points (95.4% liked)

United States | News & Politics

7147 readers
360 users here now

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS