you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] De_Narm@lemmy.world 1 points 10 months ago

Play times does in no way mean quality or dev time. I could make a game right know, in less than 30 minutes, where you have a single button. You win at a billionen presses. I'll take my thousand dollars, thank you.

Now you might think that nobody would buy it and that's fair. The secret is to continue making games like normal and tack my button at the end of my 5h campaign. If everyone does it you either pay up or stop playing.

[-] agressivelyPassive@feddit.de -1 points 10 months ago

What mental image do you have of the average game buyer? A mindless idiot who just has to buy everything he's being advertised?

Of course you can make such a game. But nobody will buy it. It's that simple. BTW your construction is called straw man. You know damn well, that some games have been designed for longer playtimes, you just chose to ignore that knowledge.

[-] De_Narm@lemmy.world 4 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

Why would it be a straw man? It's exaggerated for sure, but the point being: If you pay per theoretical hour of gameplay, games will include a lot more low quality padding.

[-] Nepenthe@kbin.social -1 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

I uh.... I don't know if @De_Narm set out to do this, but they just described the main gameplay of Cookie Clicker, a $5 game about manually clicking a picture of a cookie. It was released on steam two years ago and has made over $3 million in revenue.

It made more money than Hades, which has won several awards. There are leaderboards for the cookie. It is you whose opinion of what the typical gamer will put up with is actually high.

[-] _danny@lemmy.world 2 points 10 months ago

That's definitely a strawman or just a straight up misrepresentation of what cookie clicker is. You only actually "manually click a picture of a cookie" for about one to five minutes, then you basically never click it again. It's described as an idle game where you play by not playing, and the core mechanic is "number get bigger faster". The game described in this thread is mindlessly clicking a button, no depth, no automation or acceleration. Just click a billion times to win.

this post was submitted on 17 Nov 2023
213 points (93.5% liked)

Gaming

2953 readers
701 users here now

!gaming is a community for gaming noobs through gaming aficionados. Unlike !games, we don’t take ourselves quite as serious. Shitposts and memes are welcome.

Our Rules:

1. Keep it civil.

Attack the argument, not the person. No racism/sexism/bigotry. Good faith argumentation only.

2. No sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia or any other flavor of bigotry.

I should not need to explain this one.

3. No bots, spam or self-promotion.

Only approved bots, which follow the guidelines for bots set by the instance, are allowed.

4. Try not to repost anything posted within the past month.

Beyond that, go for it. Not everyone is on every site all the time.

Logo uses joystick by liftarn

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS