Conservative parents said they’re looking to exit public schools after an anemic performance by right-leaning candidates in school board elections this week.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] RBWells@lemmy.world 3 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

It's been quite a ride here. I grew up here when the US was at the bottom of the world rankings for education and Florida was 49th in the nation, the absolute nadir of public education - I literally had no teacher for half of sixth grade, and in elementary we had one science teacher for the whole school so got science only once a week. I really felt like it was being in jail, they didn't teach much. Did eventually get an education in college, and read a lot growing up, outside of school.

It was the Republicans who broke it, with their Back to Basics nonsense but the Republicans who fixed it in my county, by putting in school choice & magnet schools, some of my kids went to an environmental education charter, some to IB, one to a performing arts magnet, there were a variety of schools to choose from and most all the charters nonprofit collectives not for profit outfits. My kids got great K-12 education, a few years homeschooled, 4 years private for one of them, but the first 3 out were overprepared for college, they found college easy. All had input into what high schools they wanted to apply to, got to feel like they were participating not in jail. Now the youngest is a junior in high school and I swear to God they are trying so hard to break it back to what my schooling was like. Throwing away all the progress allegedly because they are afraid kids will encounter challenging ideas and come to conclusions that don't fit the parents' religious beliefs or something? Yes my older ones read challenging books, Beloved, Brodek, hard to read and important books.

I don't understand these parents at all. I think if you put kids in school you agree to the curriculum. Stand back and let the teachers work. If you don't want to do that then find a different school or homeschool. Trying to change the school to fit your kid is wrong, especially here where there are other options.

IF there was not school choice, like back when I was in school, sure, I would advocate for my kid inside the school but not by trying to pull all the other kids down to some lowest common denominator. Only by working to get accommodation for ability or disability, or if they had a bully teacher maybe see if they could be in a different class.

Sorry, long rant but yes it's about controlling other people not their own kids, it has to be. They got all the sort of free market school choice and now are mad because most of it didn't turn out to be Christian academies where the sleeves and hemlines are long and all creativity suppressed. Because almost nobody wants that for their kids.

this post was submitted on 11 Nov 2023
426 points (94.2% liked)

politics

18966 readers
3402 users here now

Welcome to the discussion of US Politics!

Rules:

1. Post only links to articles, Title must fairly describe link contents. If your title differs from the site’s, it should only be to add context or be more descriptive. Do not post entire articles in the body or in the comments.
  2. Articles must be relevant to politics. Links must be to quality and original content. Articles should be worth reading. Clickbait, stub articles, and rehosted or stolen content are not allowed. Check your source for Reliability and Bias here.
  3. Be civil, No violations of TOS. It’s OK to say the subject of an article is behaving like a (pejorative, pejorative). It’s NOT OK to say another USER is (pejorative). Strong language is fine, just not directed at other members. Engage in good-faith and with respect! This includes accusing another user of being a bot or paid actor. Trolling is uncivil and is grounds for removal and/or a community ban.
  4. No memes, trolling, or low-effort comments. Reposts, misinformation, off-topic, trolling, or offensive.
  5. Vote based on comment quality, not agreement. This community aims to foster discussion; please reward people for putting effort into articulating their viewpoint, even if you disagree with it.
  6. No hate speech, slurs, celebrating death, advocating violence, or abusive language. This will result in a ban. Usernames containing racist, or inappropriate slurs will be banned without warning

We ask that the users report any comment or post that violate the rules, to use critical thinking when reading, posting or commenting. Users that post off-topic spam, advocate violence, have multiple comments or posts removed, weaponize reports or violate the code of conduct will be banned.

All posts and comments will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This means that some content that violates the rules may be allowed, while other content that does not violate the rules may be removed. The moderators retain the right to remove any content and ban users.

That's all the rules!

Civic Links

Register To Vote

Citizenship Resource Center

Congressional Awards Program

Federal Government Agencies

Library of Congress Legislative Resources

The White House

U.S. House of Representatives

U.S. Senate

Partnered Communities:

News