submitted 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago) by Quexotic@infosec.pub to c/196@lemmy.blahaj.zone
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] deafboy@lemmy.world 7 points 10 months ago

It has been [ 0 ] days since somebody abused the word "contract" in this context. Please, leave the contract alone!

[-] Alteon@lemmy.world 29 points 10 months ago

A social contact is an implicit agreement among the members of a society to cooperate for social benefits, for example by sacrificing some individual freedom for state protection. Theories of a social contract became popular in the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries among theorists such as Thomas Hobbes, John Locke, and Jean-Jacques Rousseau, as a means of explaining the origin of government and the obligations of subjects.

[-] LazaroFilm@lemmy.world 30 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

Interestingly enough. In France, the definition of freedom contains “my freedom ends where the freedom of others begins”. Freedom is therefore a social contract held by boundaries, as opposed to the individualist unbridled freedom from the USA.

[-] retrieval4558@mander.xyz 4 points 10 months ago

There's a common phrase in the US, "the freedom to swing your arm ends at the tip of my nose". The trouble is no one really agrees on the size of noses.

[-] MenKlash@kbin.social 4 points 10 months ago

The idea of a "social contract" is flawed in the sense that it is not a contract at all, as it is unilateral in nature.

Voting and taxation do not necessarily imply explicit consent with how government (the monopoly on violence) works.

[-] skulblaka@kbin.social 14 points 10 months ago

Ah, I see. Using things in their correct context and definition now constitutes an "abuse".

[-] PunnyName@lemmy.world 4 points 10 months ago

Nah fam, this works.

this post was submitted on 10 Nov 2023
528 points (100.0% liked)

16276 readers
2904 users here now

Be sure to follow the rule before you head out.

Rule: You must post before you leave.

^other^ ^rules^

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS