submitted 11 months ago by SamC@lemmy.nz to c/newzealand@lemmy.nz
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] blindsight@beehaw.org 11 points 11 months ago

The best bit, imho: (emphasis mine)

"We are going all out for this bird. I don't just want the pūteketeke to win, I want it to win in the biggest landslide in the history of this magnificent competition. After all, this is what democracy is all about - America interfering in foreign elections."

Also, he's not a dick for doing this:

The vote-rigging was not unexpected, as the team behind Oliver's show had been in touch earlier this year.

"They were keen to be involved and we said, 'Go for it!'"

[-] Nath@aussie.zone 5 points 11 months ago

I do genuinely love that bit. But to me the best bit is this isn't just random inteferance for the lulz. He's done his research - learned about the history of the competition and actually looked into the birds themselves.

He has selected a candidate and then built a genuine and compelling case for voting for that candidate. I'll admit, I didn't look closely at the crested grebe when I read the site. That's because I approaching the vote wrong: I was looking for the familiar rather than the point of the competition, learning more about the birds on the list and the importance of conservation.

this post was submitted on 06 Nov 2023
52 points (98.1% liked)

Aotearoa / New Zealand

1633 readers
89 users here now

Kia ora and welcome to !newzealand, a place to share and discuss anything about Aotearoa in general

Rules:

FAQ ~ NZ Community List ~ Join Matrix chatroom

Banner image by Bernard Spragg

Got an idea for next month's banner?

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS