submitted 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago) by KISSmyOS@lemmy.world to c/linux@lemmy.ml

I've been involved with Linux for a long time, and Flatpak almost seems too good to be true:
Just install any app on any distro, isolated from the base system and with granular rights management. I've just set up my first flatpak-centric system and didn't notice any issues with it at all, apart from a 1-second waiting time before an app is launched.

What's your long-term experience?

Notice any annoying bugs or instabilities? Do apps crash a lot? Disappear from Flathub or are unmaintained? Do you often have issues with apps that don't integrate well with your native system? Are important apps missing?

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] AProfessional@lemmy.world 3 points 11 months ago

GTK_THEME is a development env var, it’s not expected to work in many cases. For example GtkSettings:gtk-theme won’t even contain it so apps can be confused.

The post details exactly how it works but yes it’s only about GTK.

[-] yote_zip@pawb.social 1 points 11 months ago

Right, I understand it's not supposed to be used in "proper" usage, but it does work for all my GTK apps and the gsettings method does not work for me. Unless I'm supposed to store it somewhere else because I'm on KDE.

[-] AProfessional@lemmy.world 3 points 11 months ago

You must not have xdg-desktop-portal-gtk.

I think one recent release was also bugged but it’s fixed if up to date.

[-] yote_zip@pawb.social 1 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

I do have xdg-desktop-portal-gtk on Debian Stable, which is currently at 1.14.1-1. I'll look around to see if there's more documentation on this method, because I would prefer to not use the debug variables if possible.

Edit: I launched with GTK_DEBUG=interactive and I can see the theme inside the Flatpak gets set to Adwaita-empty instead of my actual theme, which does get properly returned via gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme

[-] AProfessional@lemmy.world 2 points 11 months ago

The way to test what GTK actually gets is this command:

gdbus call -e -d org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop -o /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop -m org.freedesktop.portal.Settings.Read org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme

[-] yote_zip@pawb.social 1 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

That gets my normal GTK theme properly. I found a little more discussion on this here. Nothing very actionable but I did also confirm that my xdg-desktop-portal-gtk is running. It seems like this is supposed to be working, but I have a mostly stock Debian 12.1 KDE install and something seems to be wrong somewhere in the chain. I've also tried multiple GTK Flatpaks with the same results.

Edit: Also, I have both my themes folder exposed and the theme installed as a Flatpak via the linked script.

this post was submitted on 03 Nov 2023
186 points (94.3% liked)

Linux

47484 readers
1056 users here now

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Linux is a family of open source Unix-like operating systems based on the Linux kernel, an operating system kernel first released on September 17, 1991 by Linus Torvalds. Linux is typically packaged in a Linux distribution (or distro for short).

Distributions include the Linux kernel and supporting system software and libraries, many of which are provided by the GNU Project. Many Linux distributions use the word "Linux" in their name, but the Free Software Foundation uses the name GNU/Linux to emphasize the importance of GNU software, causing some controversy.

Rules

Related Communities

Community icon by Alpár-Etele Méder, licensed under CC BY 3.0

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS