you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] dontcarebear@lemmy.world 79 points 11 months ago

If anything, you could complain that it is copy pasted from modern culture, and doesn't imagine the history of the timeline up until then, such as bell riots, eugenics wars, world wars, vulcans, establishment of the federation...

It feels disconnected from the world. Like an American microcosm snapshot of 2023 dropped into the world of the Star Trek future.

THAT I can understand as criticism.

Just calling it woke because "woke is bad" is just political trolling as it is everywhere. Like a cheap bot.

[-] GlitchyDigiBun@lemmy.dbzer0.com 45 points 11 months ago

My favorite thing is to have them define "woke." When they can't because it's only a buzzword to them, I explain it means "waking up" to the idea that you're not the only human being with a purpose-filled life, that there are others for whom the system is built to deal a bad hand, and that the most ironic part is that 9 times out of 10 the individual I'm speaking to is not on the list of the "system's chosen."

[-] BarrelAgedBoredom@lemm.ee 23 points 11 months ago

I watched season 1 of Picard and discovery and they just didn't feel like Star Trek to me. The people complaining about how "woke" it is just distract from legitimate criticism. A lot of it for me was the sets. Their design was dark, gloomy and had an air of oppression that, while present in various forms across trek, wasn't previously baked into the design of the federation. It was all moody lighting and permenantly frowning actors. That temperament translated into the writing as well but you've already addressed part of that. And I've got a bone to pick in general with season 1 of Picard but that's a whole other rant lol

[-] query@lemmy.world 19 points 11 months ago

TNG was close to having a transgender episode, "The Outcast", but they were stuck in their time and didn't really make any kind of statement.

TOS made several comments on religion and running into powerful beings. In particular "Who Mourns for Adonais?", which would've been a great take if not for Kirk saying "Mankind has no need for gods. We find the one quite adequate".

[-] MarmaladeMermaid@lemm.ee 2 points 11 months ago

I thought having Riker fall in love with one of the enby people was about as close to a statement of support as they could get in the 90s.

this post was submitted on 01 Nov 2023
812 points (96.7% liked)

Risa

6848 readers
70 users here now

Star Trek memes and shitposts

Come on'n get your jamaharon on! There are no real rules—just don't break the weather control network.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS