submitted 11 months ago by gkd@lemmy.ml to c/programmerhumor@lemmy.ml
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] dan@upvote.au 5 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

It really depends on how much customization has gone into the site. TechCrunch, Wired, and TIME all use WordPress for example, but their theme is customized to the point where you can't really tell that it's WordPress. There are some ways to tell though, for example some of the larger sites are hosted by Automattic (these say "powered by WordPress VIP" in the footer), and /wp-admin usually still works to go to the login page.

[-] railsdev@programming.dev 2 points 11 months ago

Yeah, that’s a fair point. I’ve been surprised to see a website is Wordpress from time to time.

As far as /wp-admin goes, I know all about that! Any web server I’ve run is constantly overrun with bots trying to hack it. A lot of times I configure nginx to simply drop connections to any URL ending in .php or GZIP bomb.

[-] blkpws@lemmy.ml 3 points 11 months ago

I suppose you also configure some fail2ban rules to ban those bots. Seems to be the easier way.

[-] railsdev@programming.dev 1 points 11 months ago

I’ve looked into it a few times and it just seemed complicated to do within a Docker container but I could be wrong. I might have ChatGPT guide me on that endeavor.

[-] blkpws@lemmy.ml 2 points 11 months ago

There is a guide how to protect password brute force over SSH, which is the most attacked https://medium.com/@bnay14/installing-and-configuring-fail2ban-to-secure-ssh-1e4e56324b19

But I also recommend you to change the SSH port to another, is simple and pretty effective as all those bots are always using the default port and not doing a deep scan.

[-] railsdev@programming.dev 1 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

Thanks! Though I’m mainly only wanting to protect ports 80 and 443. Usually when it comes to web apps I Dockerize it and call it a day, so there is no SSH daemon hanging around.

[-] blkpws@lemmy.ml 2 points 11 months ago

Oh well, I only run services on my cloud, so I need to get SSH to manage them. hehehe 😄

[-] railsdev@programming.dev 1 points 11 months ago

Yeah for personal stuff I prefer my own stuff, but for business I find Fly to be phenomenal. I can always “SSH” into a container if needed (though it’s definitely not SSH).

this post was submitted on 27 Oct 2023
660 points (97.8% liked)

Programmer Humor

32119 readers
572 users here now

Post funny things about programming here! (Or just rant about your favourite programming language.)

Rules:

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS