submitted 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago) by SunriseParabellum@hexbear.net to c/chapotraphouse@hexbear.net

Went to my uncles cabin in the woods for a few days to relax, he's got the box set of the show and decided to give it a rewatch, was a pretty big fan in college. Got through like 3 episodes and shut it off.

Yes, Whedon is a creepy and maybe knowing that affecting my judgment, but honestly does feel like I'm noticing things my younger brain didn't. A lot of the dialog seems overwritten, some of the "quirky" shit the characters do comes off more obnoxious than endearing, also the story is giving me weird AnCap vibes. I mean yeah the Alliance clearly is pretty evil but we never get much explanation as to what the Brown Coats political program is, why did they want to succeed? Them being confederate coded sure as shit doesn't help.

Also, it almost leans TOO much into the whole western asethic sometimes, to the point I find it unbelievable. Okay, sure, humanity hastily colonized some planets and now some have regressed into SciFi Deadwood, I can dig that. But like, people on horses with cowboy hats seems a bit too comic for me.

Idk, just some random observations.

Edit: oh yeah and the intro song fucking sucks. That was something I thought even back when I liked the show.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] TheLepidopterists@hexbear.net 11 points 11 months ago

We watched good bit of the Expanse, fell off somewhere around s2. Didn't it have dumbass libertarian energy too? Remember thinking it did and that that was a bit grating.

[-] SunriseParabellum@hexbear.net 13 points 11 months ago

Honestly one criticism of the Expanse I have is more that it just doesn't take much of a political stance at all. It's more centrist than libertarian. The OPA are presented somewhat sympathetically but are "too radical". Avasra... okay I'm not gonna try and spell her name, desi lady with the deep voice, does have a point about the importance of preserving earth, but like do you need to fuck over the space workers to do that? The show never seems to take any stance on Mars at all, sometimes they're an evil despotic military dictatorship, but then there's several good characters who are patriotic Martians dedicated to the ideals of the nation, so... idk how I'm supposed to feel about anyone.

this post was submitted on 22 Oct 2023
96 points (100.0% liked)

chapotraphouse

13468 readers
698 users here now

Banned? DM Wmill to appeal.

No anti-nautilism posts. See: Eco-fascism Primer

Vaush posts go in the_dunk_tank

Dunk posts in general go in the_dunk_tank, not here

Don't post low-hanging fruit here after it gets removed from the_dunk_tank

founded 3 years ago
MODERATORS