you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] bitsplease@lemmy.ml 8 points 11 months ago

yup - early on in my career, working at a specific FAANG company was my life's greatest ambition, now I don't think there's any amount of money they might feasibly offer me that would make me work there lol - Once you have enough income to be comfortable, work life balance is worth more than anything

[-] monkeytennis@lemmy.world 3 points 11 months ago

Had a convo with my mum last month, where she was concerned that I wasn't looking to supercharge my career as I enter my 40s. She couldn't understand why I'd declined an interview with Meta.

I had to spell it out.. I won't miss that extra money. I don't have an expensive lifestyle, and I don't want one. I'd miss the time lost with my kids, and I'd sure as shit regret the stress and anxiety of additional work pressure.

But then, I also had to explain why staying in an unhappy marriage "for the kids" is infinitely worse than peaceful and happy co-parenting.

Boomers. Sigh.

this post was submitted on 19 Oct 2023
521 points (95.5% liked)

Work Reform

9857 readers
332 users here now

A place to discuss positive changes that can make work more equitable, and to vent about current practices. We are NOT against work; we just want the fruits of our labor to be recognized better.

Our Philosophies:

Our Goals

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS