submitted 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago) by fasterandworse@awful.systems to c/techtakes@awful.systems

I don’t really have much to say… it kind of speaks for itself. I do appreciate the table of contents so you don’t get lost in the short paragraphs though

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] sailor_sega_saturn@awful.systems 9 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

It's midnight and I'm procrastinating sleep. I'm goin' in. Pray for me.

"The myth of Prometheus ... haunts our nightmares" -- personally my worst nightmare involved Hamtaro. Don't ask. His nightmares sound weird too.

"We should raise everyone to the energy consumption level we have, then increase our energy 1,000x, then raise everyone else’s energy 1,000x as well." -- so this is basically some sort of weird ecological death cult right?

"We believe in the Silicon Valley code of “pay it forward”" -- well that certainly isn't the first code I'd expect Silicon Valley to steal...

"Our enemy is… that. We aspire to be… not that." -- Poignant. I'm touched by these poetic words :')

And finally... oh god his patron saints are named BasedBeffJezos and BayesLord? Thanks I hate it.

[-] swlabr@awful.systems 8 points 11 months ago

I’ve said it before (in my bio) and I’ll say it again: Only Bayes Can Judge Me

[-] sailor_sega_saturn@awful.systems 7 points 11 months ago

But why is it always Bayes?

Like is it just an excuse to turn off critical thinking by pretending everything's a probability problem with knowable probabilities?

... sorry for the uncertainty above, that was certainly (heh) very human of me. I just updated my priors beep boop. There is a .86748 probability that this is a significant contributing factor alongside Yud swooning.

[-] swlabr@awful.systems 7 points 11 months ago

I think you’ve got it right. It’s a convenient tool for rationalising ideas that they don’t want to sound irrational, without having to do the requisite critical thinking.

[-] sue_me_please@awful.systems 7 points 11 months ago

They use Bayes to launder their feels.

this post was submitted on 16 Oct 2023
26 points (100.0% liked)

TechTakes

1295 readers
455 users here now

Big brain tech dude got yet another clueless take over at HackerNews etc? Here's the place to vent. Orange site, VC foolishness, all welcome.

This is not debate club. Unless it’s amusing debate.

For actually-good tech, you want our NotAwfulTech community

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS